Identifying epoxy or polyester

David P Williams

Sand the inside with some coarse glasspaper, say 120 or 180 grade. The smell of polyester will be very strong and "plasticky" - just like polyester resin. Epoxy frequently has a very faint smell or none at all.

It's hard to comment on your proposed modifications without knowing what they are, but GRP moulded (regardless of the type of resin used) are simple to reshape, rework or repair.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for your helpful replies.

This is the problem I have (serves me right for wanting a totally different engine than the kit was made for) I'm trying to leave the cylinders exposed and either just cover the exhaust collector ring or butt up to it with a small gap

IMG_1874.thumb.JPG.4eef6ae8da81adbf19a31171851be5d9.JPG

and this is the inside of the moulding. I've tried sanding it and it maybe smells a bit marzipan-y but my sense of smell isn't great

IMG_1876.thumb.JPG.1dd4485d34d593cbf9dae1c7c4e95b23.JPG

The more I look at it and try to measure in three dimensions, the more I think I need to start from scratch and make a mould somehow. It's supposed to look something like this. I obviously won't get true scale representation but a reasonable looky-likey will do.

32.thumb.jpg.91dfdc54beefdb09a2d1a136d2908fff.jpg

2 hours ago, Piers Bowlan said:

Epoxy/glass by the look of it.

? your observation is good

oops bit sarcastic me?

Well it's made from chopped strand glass and a resin of some sort which you can not determine by a picture so with alterations use epoxy and woven cloth it will work good.  the fact that it is chopped matting doesn't matter as it has cured .

also with matting  you can get Emulsion bound  for Polyester and Vinylester resins and powder bound for epoxy so its all a guess unless you can ask the one that made it

I would use the back end of your existing cowl cut off where the yellow stops on the picture of the real one and then with the front bit you have cut off to simulate the manifold/exhaust cover on the real one . then laminate the bits together together.

Edited by flight1
more info

Yes I think hacking the cowl around and patching it up is the first go, and then possibly using it to make a mould. I need to make it a two piece affair anyway or I won’t be able to fit it.

Morris at Morris Mini Motors has confirmed I can cut down the exhaust headers by 15mm to move the collector ring closer to the cylinders for a more scale look and to give me more wriggle room.

that's probably the best way to go- hack the cowl until you got what you want the use it as a plug to make a mould for a new one. lighter stronger and a better finish.

made a custom petrol fuel tank that way recently, took the same time as trolling through the internet trying to find one that fitted my application.