JP Balsa Stripper - ready assembled?

I just bought one of these but I'm wondering if it became disassenbled at some point. I'm sure many know this gadget - it has three main acrylic pieces, with the blade-holder fixed at right angles to the longer piece: they're cut with twin  square dovetails that fit snugly together. They look as if they have traces of glue - but with mine, they were not glued together. Doesn't look to be usable if not fixed rigidly at right angles, and I can epoxy these bits straight away; but should it have come like this, not glued? Should I mention it to the shop?

rgds Tony

JP balsa stripper.jpg

Hi Paul. It does bear a certain resemblance. If you imagine the upright (blade holding) bit not fixed solidly at right angles, but free to wobble from side to side, you'll appreciate that it would not guarantee a precisely square cut all the way along a strip. And I think it was meant to come glued solidly from new, but had come apart in shipping or on the shop's shelf.

rgds Tony

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/12/2021 at 12:16, David Ovenden said:

Tony,

Looking at the photo I believe the blade holder (vertical part) should be rigidly attached to the horizontal (adjustable sliding) part. You could glue it but I would contact the shop for a replacement item.

Hi David, and thanks - sorry for my belated reply but I've only just seen your helpful comment! I couldn't be bothered to drive ten miles to the shop, then wait an indefinite period for a replacement to arrive - so I epoxied it together again. It works fine, very useful.

Best, Tony

1 hour ago, Tony Harrison 2 said:

Hi David, and thanks - sorry for my belated reply but I've only just seen your helpful comment! I couldn't be bothered to drive ten miles to the shop, then wait an indefinite period for a replacement to arrive - so I epoxied it together again. It works fine, very useful.

Best, Tony

In the circumstances I would have done the same Tony

• Like 2