Weights of Balsa and other woods used for medelling

Sometime in the last couple of years I came across a list of various woods used for modelling, detailing the size, type and main uses together with thier wieghts. I have tried to find it but without success. Can any body point me in the right direction.

From memory it was put out by supplier, for interest, or a fellow builder!!

Bas

You just Google  - Balsa + weight  and you find the answer!

To save anyone else the trouble the Sig site has the table and lots more info on balsa.   The info is somewhat out of date in some respects - the balsa we get now in Britain comes from Papua New Guinea as well or instead of South America.   

Edited by kc

The weight of veneer depends on it's thickness of course.   Marquetry veneer is often .6mm or .8mm ( approx 1/32 inch ) but veneer for other purposes might vary a lot.   I think the veneer used for foam wings in the past was about 1/64 inch thick.

Obeche is about 24 pounds per cubic foot.  Poplar is about 28 lb cu ft.  Most timber varies in weight but nothing like as much as balsa.   The Sig table gives various weights per cu ft for balsa of different grades so you could take the 12 lb cu ft column for each size and halve the size ( or double the weight )  so it applies to the 24lb cu ft of Obeche.     So a 4 inch by 36 inch sheet ( = 1 sq ft ) weighs .500 oz ( 1/2 oz ) in 1/32 balsa 12 lb cu ft then  you would expect 1/ 64 obeche to weigh the same.   You could say Obeche is approx twice the weight of medium balsa.

But the weight of veneer is less significant than the weight of the glue used to apply it to foam wings.   Lots of wing area  =  lots of heavy glue such as latex ( Copydex etc ) or epoxy and any fibreglass etc bandage and epoxy adds further weight too.   Anyone making a foam wing today might economise on veneer and glue by using the method used by Avicraft on some of their old foam wing designs like Moronic.  They used just veneered LE and TE  with capstrips plus fully veneered centre section in a similar manner to many built up wings.  Works well.    Today I think Avicraft use balsa built up wings on their kits.

Edited by kc