Spektrum AR600 Dsm 2 receiver

Harry Glover

This is an earlier one marked 'DSM2' although some of these were in fact both DSM2 & DSMX, for a few months during the transition to DSMX the labels were not updated. There is no way of knowing until you try & bind it. Generally they are OK but the one below lost range and resides in my 'might come in useful one day' bits draw (eg might want the case one day).

4A898E6C-8A31-4AD5-BAE9-9B20DE2539A3_1_201_a.thumb.jpg.2ece067e23d691617df2fb508d18ca53.jpg

4 hours ago, John Lee said:

This is an earlier one marked 'DSM2' although some of these were in fact both DSM2 & DSMX, for a few months during the transition to DSMX the labels were not updated. There is no way of knowing until you try & bind it. Generally they are OK but the one below lost range and resides in my 'might come in useful one day' bits draw (eg might want the case one day).

4A898E6C-8A31-4AD5-BAE9-9B20DE2539A3_1_201_a.thumb.jpg.2ece067e23d691617df2fb508d18ca53.jpg

I've got a couple of those which I still use with an old DSM2 only Dx6i, they work fine.

With regards the aerial length you need only measure the clear bit at the end . They should be the same length. Someone mentioned brown outs that affected some dms2 receivers. This has given rise to a lot af old wives tales. The problem is not the fault of the receiver it is the fault of the installation and will affect every make of receivers. The problem is though these receivers take two or three seconds to recover and that is a long time in a model flight. Most other receivers get over it swiftly. Many people “paint over the cracks “ and run them on 6 volts to give a bit of headroom in case of voltage drop due to battery, leads, switch or heavy servos. The receivers actually run on 3.3 volts. Personally I have stuck with DSMX or used dsm2 receivers made by Orange. They are more tolerant than the Spektrum ones. If you do go to 6 volts make sure your servos can cope. Many JR servos cannot as well as older Futaba ones 

• Thanks 1

Hi Gangster,

Just to be clear as I run DSM2 and DSMX so have a vested interest and no hidden agenda to just knock a product based on just hear say although I am sure they will be along shortly..?.

Are you saying that issues encountered with DSM2 are likely to be poor RX installation (as in aerial locations) or that the RX is a bit more fussy about supply voltage?

PS I have come across some UBEC's that have truly rubbish performance (won't produce rated output current & have wide voltage swing dependent on load) that would brown out the RX with just servos sitting on the bench. This was achieved by stirring the sticks, but most concerning if I operated one/two servos at a time all seemed ok, but not much help if I was trying to recover from a 3 mistakes high event and using three servos at once!

Thanks for your input and look forward to your response.

4 minutes ago, Chris Walby said:

Hi Gangster,

Just to be clear as I run DSM2 and DSMX so have a vested interest and no hidden agenda to just knock a product based on just hear say although I am sure they will be along shortly..?.

Are you saying that issues encountered with DSM2 are likely to be poor RX installation (as in aerial locations) or that the RX is a bit more fussy about supply voltage?

PS I have come across some UBEC's that have truly rubbish performance (won't produce rated output current & have wide voltage swing dependent on load) that would brown out the RX with just servos sitting on the bench. This was achieved by stirring the sticks, but most concerning if I operated one/two servos at a time all seemed ok, but not much help if I was trying to recover from a 3 mistakes high event and using three servos at once!

Thanks for your input and look forward to your response.

Not necessarily poor receiver installation. Brown out is purely power related and nothing to do with signal Like you said a ubec that sagged on load, dodgy connectors or mucky switch. Most receivers recover from that if it’s a temporary blip but some DSM2 won’t . I would certainly put a ubec through its paces before I trusted it. Having said that I have never had one that sagged too much

After several years using AR500s, with no issues at all and hearing many horror stories of brown outs I finally experienced the total loss of control first hand, with destruction of a favourite model. The AR500 was sent back to HH and they pronounced it fault free, but replaced it with an AR600 "for customer's peace of mind". I haven't suffered any similar issues with any of the AR600s that I have used since.

Where I have had an issue is with a series of AR6210s which inexplicably lost bind and the ability to rebind, at about the same time - having worked faultlessly for years. Consultation with Logic RC returned the verdict that the software was corrupted and that there was nothing to be done, they were beyond economical repair. That's left me with a pair of previously perfectly serviceable receivers that I cannot use. A third AR6210 exhibited similar symptoms last week, but after multiple attempts on the bench, having removed it from the model I was finally able to get it to bind and it now functions normally.

Just remember DSM2 is much more likely to be prone to interference as it selects two clear frequencies to hop between. No problem in the early 2.4 days but once it became the norm the chances of problems rose significantly. On course if you fly at a quiet site then DSM2 is fine.

Early Spectrum (& Orange as well) receivers were noted for taking some time (seconds) to re attach if contact was lost for any reason.