Mick Reeves 1/3 Scale Supwith Camel Kit. A Nice Big Christmas Present For Someone.

David Davis

When I first retired to rural France there was a Belgian fellow, Renée, who was a member of my club. He was a retired professional violinist but he could also play the viola when required. He used to keep us enthralled with stories about his time with the Moscow Philharmonic Orchestra in the 1960s! Yes THAT Moscow Philharmonic Orchestra! He was an excellent builder but never got the hang of flying, he couldn't even manage a foamy electric powered glider! He also used to smoke one roll up off another, Dutch "Drum" tobacco, and it caught up with him and he died a few years ago.

He left behind a Mick Reeves 1/3 scale Sopwith Camel kit which is too big for any of our members. He had built the basic fuselage but all the rest remains to be built. I have had a cursory look at the kit contents and it all seems to be there: dashboard, guns, wheels, dummy engine and 20 metres of Linen Solartex, perhaps only the pilot is missing. There are even bottles of glue, two modelling knives and plenty of blades! It will require an engine of at least 50cc. I have attached a few pictures but have some more if anyone's interested. A couple of glue joints at the rear of the fuselage have let go but that's nothing. The one-metre rule in the fuselage picture lends scale to everything. A couple of the rear uprights and cross members have let go but that's nothing that a clamp and some glue wouldn't solve. If it had been the 1/4 scale version I may have built it myself.

The kits cost £735. The club is prepared to sell the kit for half of that or for 400€.

I shall be returning to England on January 9th. I will have to self isolate for a couple of days. I will be based in Cheltenham but will be making regulatr trips to Shrewsbury to visit my sister who's terminally ill with pancreatic cancer.  I could meet up with the buyer at any mutually convenient location.

Please pm me if interested.

Season's Greetings and Happy Landings

David Davis

DSC01852.JPG

DSC01853.JPG

DSC01842.JPG

DSC01844.JPG

DSC01845.JPG

DSC01846.JPG

DSC01855.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Happy new year david.

Certainly a sad story about both your friend and your Sister.

I hope you have a safe trip back to uk , is it for a short stay or longer.

The plane is a great opportunity, but too big for me alas.

have you flown your lovely old BE2c this summer, thought it looked great when i last saw it at B2M.

best regards

david weeks