The perfect book for a Numpty

Erfolg

Possibly 6 months ago I purchased a 3D printer, a basic Ender.

I have been on a training course some 20myears ago for AutoCAD. I played with it, doing some 3 axis drawings. I only ever used it for real, until doing a small number of drawings for a extensions mainly large kitchens, for planning and building regulations purposes. I did find it easy.

Some 50 years ago my studies contained what now would be called IT studies. This included file construction, matrices operations (maths/transformations). Theoretical 3D modelling (2D wire frame/primitives and extrusions). Including Boolean operations.

So what could be difficult about 3 D printing? Obviously nothing!

The reality I needed a lot of input and help from people on this site. In reality I knew nothing, particularly with respect to current methodologies/utilities.

So just receiving a book.

3D Printing for Model Engineers, a practical guide, by Neil M Wytt, pub Crowood.

As you can imagine I have to date read a small part. What I have read provided a good blend of basic information with respect to what is available on the web, moving onto design/3D, materials and so on. It is structured, it has filled some of the holes in my knowledge, providing information on what file types are available, why, options and the whys etc. Until reading the early parts I had know idea that there were options, I just did things by check list process type approach. Just like the early Japanese Shinto Sword makers. No idea as to why, what mattered, which bits did or do not, although producing a decent sword, after a lot of wasted time.

It is the sort of book that has a finite shelf life, as technology moves on. Coming from the generation where switching on your terminal or PC, you were confronted with a blinking cursor, you then needed to do things to get anything to happen.

Today we are where we are, and the present process are not intuitive in my case. It will not stop me needing and seeking help and assistance. However my questions hopefully will not be as apparently stupid, ill informed and so on.

So if starting out like me, worth having.