Wing bolts

Regarding the thread I have checked against M5 and the bolt is too big a diameter. Maybe M6 but I don't have anything to try against.

These were bought in 1980 / 90s and I suspect they are Imperial.

Measuring as close as I can it looks like 1/4" x 26TPI ?

Thank you for all the help.

Cheers

John

P.S. M5 bolt is a loose fit in the angle fitting.

PPS My internet is working very slow so only able to reply as and when working. Fault on the landline wiring.

Edited by John Wagg

1 hour ago, Don Fry said:

It’s not UNF (USA standard threads) as that is 1/4*20 TPI.

BSC (British standard cycle) is 1/4*26 TPI. Old motorbike thread.

Old plastic, how strong is it. I would solder a nut to some plate.

Just found an old cycle part that fits and so maybe BSC but seems a bit unusual. 

Also, according to thread charts, could be 0BA but that is very close to M6.

Edited by John Wagg

1 minute ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

You could always take them off and bolt a piece of plastic, or glue a hardwood piece of wood and tap it out, if you

don't have a tap a blind nut glued in place.

The brackets are held in with screws which are inaccessible, as behind covering, but could be a last resort.

Thanks for the suggestion.

John 

1/4 by 26 is BSF ( British Standard Fine )  used on pre war cars etc and later on British lathes like Myford ( older ones )  

The pitch of the thread and diameter can be the same but the actual shape and angle  of the thread varies for different threads.   That's why they can seem similar but don't quite fit.

Some people ( myself for example) use steel bolts instead of nylon etc for wing bolts, which are OK as long as you don't crash much.  Should be easy to get 1/4 BSF steel bolts from model engineering suppliers or taps and dies from Tracy Tools.

I don't think 1/4 by26 BSC is the same as BSF - Tracy Tools list BSC and BSF taps and dies as quite separate items.

Don,   BSC dies are a very reasonable £3  at Tracy Tools as are most taps and dies etc.

Edited by kc

There are 1/4 by 26 in BSF also BSC and BSB.  

BSF used to be very common but BSC and BSB were rare and probably only used on brass parts also BSC on cycles and maybe motorcycle parts.  

Much more likely your thread is BSF than BSC (cycle) or BSB  ( Brass )   However as BSB is used for brass it might have been used on electrical fittings and therefore your part might have come from some electrical source.   But try BSF first as it was extremely common in pre war Britain carried over into postwar pre metric Britain.

It is very likely a BSC or BSB thread has quite different thread form to the 1/4 by 26 BSF - different thread form for different metals.

Edited by kc

To get around all the confusion about threads a quick solution could be to fix a ply plate into the nut fitting with whatever bolts you can find.   Then drill the ply plate and  wing for one central modern wing bolt.   

Nylon etc wing bolts are no use unless you can carry spares!

Edited by kc

40 minutes ago, kc said:

To get around all the confusion about threads a quick solution could be to fix a ply plate into the nut fitting with whatever bolts you can find.   Then drill the ply plate and  wing for one central modern wing bolt.   

Nylon etc wing bolts are no use unless you can carry spares!

Thanks but not a practical solution but you never know in the end.

I'm OK for brackets. its just bolts I need. 

I bought these in 80/90s, I don't remember where from, may have been LMS or shows.

I still prefer nylon bolts and I think if I crashed a plane with metal bolts there would be too much damage. As it is I'm repairing a plane (Galaxy models Domino) that had these nylon bolts and I just need a few to complete.

Cheers

John