D.B. SPORT @ SCALE SE5

Don Fry

The mould, having now been used, benefits from the previous coats of release wax so only 5 coats were applied this time.

Here, the second rocker cover is curing while the first one, after 30 hours is now sufficiently hard that it can be cut with a rotary disc. Its been cut right down to be as realistically proud of the cowl as I can make it (without being able to measure the real thing) leaving tabs which, once the cowl has been suitably slotted, will provide a firm fixing.    

1098783384_NewCowl27.thumb.jpg.25ff7cdd549cbf2dab0d0d86fdd8a8c9.jpg  

• Like 3

The second cover was released from the mould after 18 hours. I'm pleased to say it came away easily which I think shows that the initial coats of wax are still working and so less coats are required for subsequent lay-ups.

One unexpected benefit of using 25gm cloth as the base layer was how smooth the surface is. I'd used the fine cloth to ensure that the fairly tight curves were followed without using gelcoat, which I don't seem to be able to master (I'm sure its me as others have success) however, the surface is much smoother than starting out with 50gm cloth, which is what I've done previously when making something with gentle curves like a cowl. I suppose this is an obvious discovery now though its something to remember for future lay-ups.

A plus for using fibreglass for this task instead of getting another set of ABS mouldings is the weight, the undamaged ABS moulding weighs 23gm, the fibreglass repalcement, 17gm. Its only a few grammes of course and up at the front end doesn't affect the cg, but an interesting observation that fibreglass can be lighter than ABS.

1215576257_NewCowl29.thumb.jpg.e3647decd942d9ac939734d7c2cb5e65.jpg           

• Like 3

With there being no damage to the exhaust headers and as the whole model is firmly in the ‘sport’ category, the headers were used again in a similar position as before. The exhausts should exit the cylinder heads (if there were any) but these were just put as low down on the rockers as possible.

735311286_NewCowl30.thumb.jpg.757f7411ccd2eae7e80714b124afb1aa.jpg

1487249738_NewCowl31.thumb.jpg.f0b46ca8abd1240b431c435e50729d1f.jpg

Having only used a few layers of glass cloth, the walls of the rocker covers came out at 0.5mm thick which provides little support for the exhaust stubs. Small pieces of 1/8” ply were added to support the joints, I thought this prudent as its likely the exhausts could be used as handles when removing the cowl, so didn’t want too much flexing and eventual breaking of the fibreglass bits.

118571675_NewCowl29.thumb.jpg.396caee7281e0c185d6f8e391675cdd7.jpg

All the main components have been completed now so it’s a waiting game for the weather to improve to get on with painting.         

• Like 3