Hobbyking film tip

Trevor Crook

Hope this isn't already posted or too obvious, but here goes!

Some colours of the excellent Hobbyking film have a white backing. If a fairly high iron temperature is used for good shrinkage, the film shrinks but can leave a thin line of white residue down the edge of an overlap. I discovered today that this can be removed with a cloth damped with cellulose thinners. It doesn't appear to attack the film. I did try less aggressive white spirit, but that didn't shift it. Hope this helps anyone using it.

As an aside, has anyone tried buying their film since the demise of the UK warehouse? The EU warehouse seems to have a good range of colours in stock, priced at about £12/5m, but I've no idea what the delivered cost would be, inclusive of shipping and delivery. Even if the price doubled, it would still be reasonable value in my view. 

• Like 1

Been using this film for some time. The thin white line when applying it can be the only drawback with it as apart from that it is brilliant. I managed to clean it using methylated spirits. But next time I will try cellulose thinners. I notice that there is plenty of in stock in the EU warehouse. I bought a lot when the UK warehouse had it as I thought at that quantity (5 meters) and at that price  ( £10) it was too good to be true.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Trevor Crook said:

Basil, there was no duty etc. when it came from the UK warehouse. I was wondering what the extra charges were now, but so far nobody on here has ordered any from the EU.

Paul, all of mine that came from the UK was the colour I specified, fortunately. 

Trevor, yes I am aware of that. I thought we were talking about the winding up of the UK outlet and sourcing from EU, hence duty payments.(And collection fees)Bas

I haven't bought any film recently, but I have ordered a couple of LiPo's from the EU warehouse and these were delivered with no additional charges, just the carriage as shown at the checkout.

It does depend on the total value of the shipment, the exact figure escapes me atm. You can look it up on the .GOV portal.

Kim

Come back just to add to the above, below is a cut and paste from an earlier thread, and in my experience, is accurate:

As far as I can see, there's no difference between EU and the rest of the world these days, so as long as the goods are worth less than £135, then taxes should be paid by the seller locally, and there's nothing extra to pay by you. Have a look here https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/tax-and-duty and see what you think. 

Kim

Just ordered film from HK EU. There is not a tracking option for delivery and a maximum weight of 2000g, going over this causes a 'no delivery option' message to be displayed.

So for film the maximum is four rolls or three as some weigh over 500g.

I have ordered before from EU and had no extra charges.

We will see.

On 30/12/2021 at 11:24, Trevor Crook said:

Bas, sorry if I came across as patronising, I didn't mean to.

Kim, thanks for that update. I don't need any more film at present,  but could do with a couple of 3s 2200 lipos, so I may try ordering from HK EU as an experiment,  assuming they are in stock.

No offence taken.Bas

On 30/12/2021 at 11:27, EarlyBird said:

Just ordered film from HK EU. There is not a tracking option for delivery and a maximum weight of 2000g, going over this causes a 'no delivery option' message to be displayed.

So for film the maximum is four rolls or three as some weigh over 500g.

I have ordered before from EU and had no extra charges.

We will see.

Delivered today and no extra charges.

• Like 1