Mini Indoor Autogyro

Stephen Jones

Steve,

I was just jumping off my seat trying to get it to lift off!

I'm with John, more rearward tilt possibly  needed. 2 blades will need at least 3 degrees more rearward tilt than 3 blades and tio weights.

Also,  theory says 20 degrees is the minimum rearward tilt to start autorotation so you will need this when the airframe is sat on its feet.

Before making new blades it may be worth testing to see if they will spin up in a light breeze held in your hand? At least that will confirm whether the blades are worth perusing as they are.

Have you got a close up photo of hub and blade mounts you used?

Rich

• Like 1

From what I remember about my Atoms the LE needs to be very sharp at the lower edge, no rounding off, which you are unlikely to get with foam by itself but easier if it is balsa which will also add some of the required weight. You can sometimes compensate for rounding by packing the blades up at the rear to reduce the angle of attack which allows them to spin up much more quickly. There should be much more information on the Atom build blog.

3 hours ago, Martin McIntosh said:

From what I remember about my Atoms the LE needs to be very sharp at the lower edge, no rounding off, which you are unlikely to get with foam by itself but easier if it is balsa which will also add some of the required weight. You can sometimes compensate for rounding by packing the blades up at the rear to reduce the angle of attack which allows them to spin up much more quickly. There should be much more information on the Atom build blog.

Hi Martin.

large.Blade4.jpg.faad1ddb03ea57bcee055a28b8bc0bd2.jpglarge.855927049_MiniBlade3.jpg.5989b132166c1d90e266d0e0741199bb.jpg

A good atom special type aerofoil has been achieved by adding a balsa leading edge which may not be visible by these pictures alone.

Steve

• Like 1