Dumas Dragon Rapide

Chris Walby

Hi Rapide,  I’ve looked at the 4Max website at the listing for the specified motor, and the the advice pages for wiring multiple brushless motors , and I can’t find anything which says that these motors will burn out if run at full throttle. Can you post a link to this information?

The only thing I can see is that the motor web page says that only GWS props should be used, whereas you listing shows APC props.

Thanks GDB

9 hours ago, Rapide said:

Having had advice from all angles (which was very helpful) and read everything I can find on the subject, and taken apart the motors and tested my wiring, I have concluded as dry solder joints usually cause "oscillation" and that did not happen, that cause is unlikely. The main cause suggested by most, and ironically, that I now read on the 4-Max website a specific warning about, and that exactly fits with what happened, is these motors WILL burn-out if run at full throttle.  It would help if a prominent notice stating this fact was on the motor description AND on the package that it is sold in. 

Sounds like a load of old cobblers, a motor that you can't run at full throttle! If a motor is over propped and you run it at full throttle it might burn out, but not if it has a suitable prop.

The first time a new setup is run you should connect a Watt meter to ensure it's not pulling more Amps than the motor and esc are rated for or you could get the magic smoke.

13 hours ago, Caveman said:

Hi Rapide,  I’ve looked at the 4Max website at the listing for the specified motor, and the the advice pages for wiring multiple brushless motors , and I can’t find anything which says that these motors will burn out if run at full throttle. Can you post a link to this information?

The only thing I can see is that the motor web page says that only GWS props should be used, whereas you listing shows APC props.

Thanks GDB

Thankyou Caveman,  There are a number of mentions on the 4-Max website of high revs leading to burn out burning out but they won't allow copying sections to paste elsewhere. For one mention, go to the website and click on "Brushless Motors".
For ages, I have bench tested electric motors without cooling before flying with them, mostly to avoid fault-finding in the air, but never for a long period and always without a problem - until now.
Interesting point you make about the prop - I assume the initials are manufacturers names? But I don't know the difference. As with most things in electric flight, I have never questioned the wisdom of George!

And there's a happy ending:- I said that I was building the Rapide because it was the first aircraft I ever flew in - with my sister and dad from Bembridge to Hilsea (Portsmouth). My sister unearthed a photo of us boarding, which she confirmed was 1956 and the Registration number is clearly visible. When I googled the number, to my utter surprise, I found it is still flying 😊. I have been in touch with the current operator, Scillonia Airways, and will relive the flight this year.

Damn - that means I've got to change the colour scheme.............

Rapide.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So another twist to my Rapide story:

A pilot who still flies G-AHAG has told me that the markings on the aircraft in the photo I posted, could not be us boarding in the 1950's as it did not bear the words "Scenic Flights" until mid '60s.  So it was back to square one to think it out again if I am to fix the correct Registration number on my model. 

I have another pic which is me and my sister posing in front of a Rapide that is unidentifiable.  So I went with the comment that I remember from the rather posh gent who welcomed us at Portsmouth with the words "So what was it like to be flown by a woman Eh? She's the first ever female captain of a commercial passenger airline".  Having researched that in the hope of finding identification of the actual aircraft, it led me to well documented stories of Jackie Moggridge who is described as the that person - piloting a return flight from Portsmouth to Sandown Airport (Isle of Wight) rather than Bembridge, when given a test period employed by what was to become Channel Airways. There may be a year difference but it definitely fits what me and my sister remember.  And then another stroke of luck from enquiring to a website called Solent Aviatrix (female pilots).  The lady who runs that replied to say that Jackie's daughter is a friend of hers and has the relevant log-book!!! So I await the result of a read of the appropriate entry to see if it states the Aircraft identity.     Watch this space.

Edited by Rapide
spelling

• 1 month later...

I would put it wherever it gets the C of G in the right place! From what I have heard this model benefits being as light as possible so sticking the battery in one place and then adding lead serves no purpose. Even if you up or down the battery size that is better than adding lead....but lead and the right c of g is better than no lead and a c of g that is way out!

On 31/01/2024 at 22:51, Rapide said:

And there's a happy ending:- I said that I was building the Rapide because it was the first aircraft I ever flew in - with my sister and dad from Bembridge to Hilsea (Portsmouth). My sister unearthed a photo of us boarding, which she confirmed was 1956 and the Registration number is clearly visible. When I googled the number, to my utter surprise, I found it is still flying 😊. I have been in touch with the current operator, Scillonia Airways, and will relive the flight this year.

Damn - that means I've got to change the colour scheme.............

Rapide.jpeg

I'm a bit confused...it happens...too often these days...

Your sister seems to have kept a photo of you boarding G_AHAG - you only flew in 1956 - a current pilot, who I'm assuming wasn't associated with the aircraft in 1956, told you it wasn't labelled as SCENIC at that time?  Did you get any further with your research?