Timing Issues?

Shaun Walsh

Trying to set up a power system for an electric RES glider using a Hacker A10-7L 4:1 2200 Kv geared motor with a 4-Max 20A ESC. here is what I have found:

I have done some experimentation, all with unloaded motor so current draw low.
Hacker A10-7L 4:1 2200 Kv on 3s battery with 4M-ESC20A, hesitation at full throttle, 26,400rpm (approx).
Hacker A10-7L 4:1 2200 Kv on 2s battery with 4M-ESC20A, OK at full throttle, 17600rpm (approx).
Hacker A10-7L 4:1 on 3s battery with spare 40 amp esc , OK at full throttle, 26,400rpm (approx).
Turnigy D2826/10 1400 Kv motor on 3s battery with 4M-ESC20A OK at full throttle, 16,800rpm (approx).

The hesitation at full throttle is a bit like a misfire on an IC engine.

I think that what is happening is that at very high rpm the ESC timing cannot match the requirements of the motor, hence the hesitations, reduce the max rpm either by using a 2s battery or a lower Kv (but much larger) motor and the hesitation issues go away. I have tried both the auto timing setting and 24 degrees (within Hacker's recommended range) with no improvement.
What do you think?

Hi Shaun,

When you say 'unloaded motor' do you mean with no propeller fitted at all? If so that isn't a good idea, it doesn't relate to the motor operation in normal use.

I presume your rpm figures are for the motor with the gearbox removed? How are you measuring the rpm?

Brian.

5 minutes ago, RottenRow said:

Hi Shaun,

When you say 'unloaded motor' do you mean with no propeller fitted at all? If so that isn't a good idea, it doesn't relate to the motor operation in normal use.

I presume your rpm figures are for the motor with the gearbox removed? How are you measuring the rpm?

Brian.

Hi Brian

Yes, figures are for motor with no prop and yes I know it's not realistic. RPM figures are calculated approx figures based upon battery voltage and motor Kv. RPM figeures are for motor prior to gearbox reduction which is what the ESC "sees".

Shaun