La Coupe Des Barons 2022

Happy New Year Gentlemen! The dog was having a bad dream and woke me up.

I took the opportunity to register for La Coupe Des Barons 2022. I will be running my Russian Baron this year, either that or I'll build another wing for Bertie.

Pictures and video of last year's event here: https://saffiotipatrick.wixsite.com/vl38/les-barons. Your humble servant is on the left of the picture holding a silver model with British roundels.

I won the fourstroke class last year so have a title to defend!

Boris vs one of the twins.jpg

Bertie 2021 (3) - Copy.JPG

On 01/01/2022 at 14:18, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

Lol, that's what a few of my School masters said and they were all wrong !

There are still nine places vacant Paul and some of us, including me, have applied twice so there are even more vacancies. It's not too late to put in your own application. Then we'll see who's right and who's wrong!

https://saffiotipatrick.wixsite.com/vl38/les-barons

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hVdORBMCk_q7vsXrk8POa6bzTXNO8zwzL-zfLS2Q_Cw/edit#gid=2109958464

Actually Paul your little HP VT might do alright in the caisse baguettes and the limbo where speed is not essential but it wouldn't do well in the pylon race or the fox hunt, it'd be slower than the tug!

BTW there is a special prize for anybody using a "period motor" so fill your boots!

Alternatively I could remove the Laser 62 from my Big Guff and fit that into the Baron. The rules state that maximum fourstroke engine size allowed in the competition is a 52 but as the Laser 62 is the same physical size as the Laser 45 and the Laser 50 and the engines are cowled, no-one would know!

Good job my parents brought me up to be honest. ?

• 2 months later...

While looking at the row of Barons at our club's static exhibition last weekend, I suddenly realised that my model, which I built in 2018, is finished in Russian markings. OK they are Great War colours but with the collapse of Communism, Russian military aircraft have reverted to similar markings.

I propose to replace the Russian cockades with those of the Ukrainian Air Force.

I am aware of course that replacing the roundels on a toy aeroplane will make no difference to the plight of the Ukrainian people but the financial donation I made to Save The Children may help Ukrainian refugees.

ua_r1.gif

Barons and Concorde.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I had three practice flights with the Baron yesterday minus it's Russian markings. On the third flight the throttle servo stuck wide open and I had to fly about at full throttle until the tank ran out. Barons glide like bricks especially with 52 four strokes in the nose so I was forced into a rather high speed downwind landing but it remained on its wheels so no harm done.

The servo was from a long-defunct ARTF foamie. I have two servos which would drop into place: a Hitec HS 55 and a Hitec HS5005MG. Do you think that I should use either of these servos? They only have to push and pull a little lever after all. I am leaning towards the metal geared servo because of the vibrations of the four stroke.

I have larger servos which I could fit with a little surgery if the concensus is that these Hitecs are too small for the job.

Don't know what a Baron looks like? Here are two of them in a pylon race.

Boris vs one of the twins.jpg

Edited by David Davis

• 4 weeks later...

I have just returned from the flying field. For some weeks I have been practising low level flying as this skill is important in the first and last flying round of La Coupe Des Barons, i.e, the Caisse Baguettes and Le Limbo. I am pleased to report that I have the engine in my grey Baron, an OS 52FS, running beautifully. I tried two propellers this afternoon a 12x6 and a 12x4. I think that the 12x4 was the better propeller for flying at slow speed and low altitude But I will experiment with propellers for the high-speed events. Any suggestions?  While I was flying I felt a tap on my shoulder. It was a newish member of the called Alain who teases me about having won the four-stroke class at La Coupe Des Barons last year. He calls me "The World Champion!"

He had two one-metre high polystyrene sticks in his hands together with their wooden bases. He indicated that he wanted to erect them on the glider strip next to our runway. I climbed to altitude to allow him to do this safely then on the next pass I smashed one of the sticks to pieces! That left me with one to aim at. The next two passes were close but no cigar. Someone else ran out and set up a second stick and I knocked that to pieces too! Trouble was I was flying so slowly with the engine on tick-over and the wheels on the ground that when my propeller touched the polystyrene stick it stopped the engine completely!

Nevertheless I was pretty happy with my flying, the performace of the model and engine.

I intend to recover the wing of the grey model for the competition just to make it look smart. I am awaiting the delivery of some Ukrainian cockades from Pyramid Models for this year's event.

Pictures of both of my Barons appear in my post of 1st January. My Reserve Baron in the British markings is not so easy to fly as the grey one because I reduced the dihedral of the wing to make the model more responsive. Not a good idea! Nevertheless, this was the Baron which won the four-stroke class last year.

• Like 1