3s equivalent

delta88

Hi

I know that generally flyers ask for the equivalent electric setup of an IC engine, but what about the other way round? The reason I ask is purely because I can see times when the weather is better than was expected the previous day so with IC/Glow etc I can just pack and go without worrying that I haven't got any batteries charged. 
Also, while I'm here, what is a suitable approximate IC engine size for 3s power and any recommendations for planes with that size IC engine?
many thanks.

28 minutes ago, delta88 said:

Hi

I know that generally flyers ask for the equivalent electric setup of an IC engine, but what about the other way round? The reason I ask is purely because I can see times when the weather is better than was expected the previous day so with IC/Glow etc I can just pack and go without worrying that I haven't got any batteries charged. 
Also, while I'm here, what is a suitable approximate IC engine size for 3s power and any recommendations for planes with that size IC engine?
many thanks.

3s isn't a power, it refers to 3 cells connected in series to make up a battery. 

Hi Delta,

A very reasonable question. It's not particularly straightforward to answer due to the myriad variables. However, I generally use 3S 2200 packs for models that back in the day would use a 20-25 2stroke or a 40 4 stroke (my 42" Spitfire, 44" J-22 and my new KB11 at 48". All are a little less than 3lbs in weight) . However, I also have 3S models where I use 1000-1500 packs that I would have built for 15 size strokers, or smaller.

Does that help?

Graham

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, delta88 said:

I know that. I obviously haven't worded the post very well. Do you understand what I am asking or shall I rewrite?

No I don't understand what you're asking, yes rewrite it please but with more detail on what you consider the power of 3s to be (e.g. in watts) &/or the weight/type of model you have in mind. 

The best way to compare IC and electric is to look at the hp or Watts delivered by the power system which is determined both by the number of battery cells and the specification of the motor. 

I use exclusively 3s batteries in models with motors which deliver between 100 and 500 Watts 

• Like 1

I think the answer is, if you work out the power output of the electric power train in watts, then an IC engine of the same watt output is going to be ballpark equivalent. Also you can get your eyeball in with firms like Slec, who do electric and IC versions of the same kit. 
But be aware they deliver power differently, 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Graham Davies 3 said:

Hi Delta,

A very reasonable question. It's not particularly straightforward to answer due to the myriad variables. However, I generally use 3S 2200 packs for models that back in the day would use a 20-25 2stroke or a 40 4 stroke (my 42" Spitfire, 44" J-22 and my new KB11 at 48". All are a little less than 3lbs in weight) . However, I also have 3S models where I use 1000-1500 packs that I would have built for 15 size strokers, or smaller.

Does that help?

Graham

Thanks Graham, that helps a lot, appreciated.

Edited by delta88

Ask 5 RC modelers and get 6 answers

IMO

3S2200 - good for 55 inch wingspan and 48 oz trainer

4S3300 - good for 48 inch wingspan 3.8 lbs acrobat/3D with unlimited vertical

5S3300 - Warbird which is 60 inch wingspan and 6 lbs

6S4500 - EDF 70mm fan and about 45 inch wingspan and nearly unlimited vertical...and flight time less than 4 min

As Martin suggested if you think of a comparable model to what you want and search the web for like models, you will find quite a few manufacturers spec both electric and IC so you can just take a view.

Of course there are always exceptions to the rules like my Focke Stick...38 inch wingspan runs on 4S3300, pulls about 120A and weighs about 1.5 Kg....totally unlimited vertical and goes like a bat out of hell...just the way I like it!

image.thumb.png.215f30d5321f41164e3efdce400bec06.png

Or just ask here on the forum?