Lidl foam chuck glider fusi + foamboard EDF Vulcan

Bonzo Moon

My latest project. The Lidl/foamboard EDF Vulcan. My 1st EDF Lidl glider just had an EDF mounted on to of the fusi, this time I wanted to create something that looked like a jet! This is my 9th Lidl build and I had a spare fusi as one of the builds was a biplane! They are all on my channel. Designing was fun, especially figuring the 'engine' intake ducting. I'm pleased with the finished design. It was a long project as this time I ordered the EDF from Aliexpress and it took two months to arrive. I've linked the Aeorc 45mm EDF at Banggood, should be quicker delivery. Around the £15 - £20 mark, depending what deal is on!  No maiden yet as weather is awful!   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTjSyig2jIE&list=PLLdle7NDE_1Y_XC3kjOSIUDJcRxVrhez-&index=1 No maiden yet as weather is awful!

Bonzo

A neat conversion although there is not so much left of the original Lidl. ?

My slight concern is the aerodynamic disturbance that will be caused by the wiring in the inlet duct in front of the EDF.

The air in the duct is actually travelling faster than the plane will fly so any disturbance has a greater effect than if the wiring was on the outside of the plane.

I note AEO go the the trouble to pass the motor wires inside one of the motor supports to improve the duct airflow characteristics. Seems a pity to then run the wires in the duct air stream.

Maybe a case of sacrificing EDF performance for visual appearance?

How much does it weigh ready to go?

Given the generous wing area resulting from the delta I am sure it will fly fine. 

Edited by Simon Chaddock

Ha, yes I agree not a lot of Lidl left, but the nose saves the bother and weight of building a nose and in some ways is less complicated. Plus more aerodynamic maybe. I designed it as I went along and no doubt it would have been better if I could have kept wiring out of the air duct.  I taped the servo wires to the foamboard, and tried to route with that in mind, but it was difficult to avoid as all wires and the 3 wires from the EDF have to cross the airflow at some point to get to the centre of the fusi and the rx and battery. I doubt it will affect the thrust, if I dare use that word on a baby edf! It was a design as you go job, Mk2 will be better assuming this flies well!

Just under 500 gms with a 1.3 mA 3 s lipo.
  • Like 2

Five of us are now flying the much modified foamboard Vulcan. 

70mm 12 blade EDF 4S Lipo.

Mods are ongoing, but quickest so far is 91mph, the aim being to break 100mph.

Watt meter spec. 77A / 1145W

Weight 31.4oz

A 6s version is on the horizon.

We have all had tremendous fun with these models.....huge thanks to Bonzo for posting his original video!.

7 hours ago, SIMON CRAGG said:

Five of us are now flying the much modified foamboard Vulcan. 

70mm 12 blade EDF 4S Lipo.

Mods are ongoing, but quickest so far is 91mph, the aim being to break 100mph.

Watt meter spec. 77A / 1145W

Weight 31.4oz

A 6s version is on the horizon.

We have all had tremendous fun with these models.....huge thanks to Bonzo for posting his original video!.

Wow, 70 mm, sounds amazing.  I remember you posting before saying you guys were flying a few of them.    Any pics of the one with a 70 mm EDF please?  Like to see how that was designed.

7 hours ago, SIMON CRAGG said:

• 3 weeks later...

My EDF design GETS IT'S MAIDEN! Lidl Nose, foamboard wing and 45 mm EDF

My first attempt at EDF 'jet' design, a foamboard/Lidl nosed Vulcan finally got it's maiden! How did it go? Build blog and more details of design is linked at the end and list of parts on the video. 45mm AEORC EDF
https://www.banggood.com/custlink/DDDhe4Gzwk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IlZnV3Sav4&list=PLLdle7NDE_1Y_XC3kjOSIUDJcRxVrhez-&index=1

Edited by Bonzo Moon