Cell levels;6S Lipo

Basil

A few years ago I lost a number of batteries by believing the charger. At the time I only balance charged every third or forth time as it took considerably longer than a "unbalanced" charge (always at 1c for both types). After realising that with every battery it was always cell #2 that was playing catchup I checked with a DVM & found that the charger was reading that cell low therefore overcharging during balance charges. 

BTW it's the consistency of the DVM 's readings compared with the charger's that's important, accuracy is secondary. It doesn't actually have to be particularly good quality DVM. 

Edited by PatMc
  • Thanks 1

I did watch a video on how to calibrate the charger using a decent DVM, but that was as far as I took it. I recently retired a number of packs, following one of my periodic reviews and have changed my charging protocol from charging only at the field to charging in the workshop as well, so it might be the right time to delve a little deeper. So far-touch wood - the number of packs that I've retired, or plain broken, has been quite small. Funnily enough the largest casualty count has been two Life transmitter packs -victims to leaving the transmitter switched on in the case and discharging down to zero. Dead as a dodo. ?