WHICH ENGINE?

Ernie

Hi all,  Beside me as I write this is a nearly completed Keil Kraft Falcon. Its big, 8 foot in old money, but hopefully not too heavy.

My query is what do I use to power it. E******* is of course not possible, and it sort of has to be a four stroke;    I have also beside me 2 candidates, a new OS V95, a bang up to date 4 stroke, which is too big, and a OS FS40 which is maybe a wee bit on the small side. What do you all think?

ernie

1 minute ago, Ernie said:

Not E******* Early Bird, because It just has to potter around just before dusk, with a sound to dream off, and a fine trail of smoke. Even better if it smells of castor oil, but I suppose thats asking too much

ernie

It is possible then but for you E******** is a swear word. ?

Ah it was a joke. Now I get it. Thanks ?

My BB Majestic Major, 88" span is powered by an old Laser 62, just about a perfect match, takes a few yards to get off the ground but then potters around on 1/3rd throttle. Based on this I think the OS40FS would be a bit marginal and the 95 a bit much, but you can always throttle back. BTW my MM flies with  4" pitch prop, can't remember the dia but it's between 14" and 16" ?

Laser sell 70's or 80's for that model normally. The 80 is overkill, but some like a zoom climb to height rather than a long climb and then potter around using the biggest prop the 80 will swing. 16x5 or something like that. 70's work well with 14 or 15x5 props being an option, our old 62 was used successfully as well way back when as well as the diesels we used to make. 

Generally, i would shoot for a 50-70 4 stroke with the larger engine propped up to keep the model sedate but with plenty of thrust and authority. 

Edit: Frank beat me to it ? 

Edited by Jon - Laser Engines

Hi Ernie,

My Falcon was completed late in 2021, and is powered by an OS56a four stroke, with a 14x4 prop.

It takes off in a few feet at little more than half throttle, and does most of the flights at 1/3 throttle.

Full throttle is used only occasionally, for an odd (very odd!) loop or roll.

No need to overpower it!

Steve.

1678564931_Falcon1.thumb.jpg.298623ed81179875d42b07941f0e11f2.jpg895607759_Falcon10.thumb.jpg.195afdc33fb18774f04c9493c932c74b.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ernie said:

Not E******* Early Bird, because It just has to potter around just before dusk, with a sound to dream off, and a fine trail of smoke. Even better if it smells of castor oil, but I suppose thats asking too much

ernie

Well if it's the noise & smell you want you can't beat:

https://www.eifflaender.com/engines/19-paw-49-2-and-paw-60-2-tbr-r-c 

image.png.cbf7dbb9231e5d2ab9cddb1bb2fe5e50.png

39 minutes ago, Ernie said:

Anyone need a brand new OSV95,

to buy, swap, or some sort of interesting deal..

ernie

I would be inclined to hang on to that. Good engine, useful in a variety of models and you will be hard pressed to get another at a good price should you find you need it in years to come. 

If looking at new OS 56's are in the £350-£400 range, which is pretty eye watering. Saito offer a 56 and 62, and OS the 62v. Those 3 seem to sit in the £230-£300 range although 56's seem to be thin on the ground. I have Laser 70's available at £260 with the post if that is of interest. 

All that assumes you want new, im sure ebay can offer cheaper 2nd hand motors but you roll the dice a little there. 

Edited by Jon - Laser Engines

3 hours ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

ebay can offer cheaper 2nd hand motors but you roll the dice a little there. 

Not many os 56fs-a seem to get listed. Lots of old fs40 and fs48, and some 52s, although fewer. 

That said there is an os 52 on there for £90. The seller is one i have bought from before, they seem decent.  No connection etc. 

Watching glows on ebay is one of my vices.

I should stop. I have enough already...

4 hours ago, Ernie said:

Hi, and thanks for all that..Just what I wanted to find out.  So it looks like a 60 to 70 four stroke is what I need.  Anyone need a brand new OSV95,

to buy, swap, or some sort of interesting deal..

ernie

I have a very nice, broken-in but very little used ASP70FS (was briefly in an ARFT Acrowot then serviced by Just Engines after its early demise - caused by radio failure courtesy of a brand beginning with the letter 'S') for which I don't have a foreseeable use.  Pm me if you're interested.