Extending Lithium Battery Life.

Andy48

I think he means Swmbo is in charge of kitchen stuff. Mine has replaced in the last six weeks, washing machine, dryer, food processor. Economy replacement, no. Don’t argue if wise.

It is possible such technologies are available. For example, if food were more expensive, chimney cleaning might be cheaper. Small flame at the bottom might encourage climbing speed of the child as well..

Tesla already claim the loss of capacity is only 3% after 1000 discharges. That's 250,000+ miles.

If that proves to be true what loss of range would be unacceptable? 20% or a million miles?

There is some evidence to show that mechanically an electric power train could actually last that long (but not the steering or suspension!) however not sure about the fancy electronics. A good period of sun spot high energy radiation could do serious damage. I suspect diagnosing & replacing the electronics would make battery replacement look easy & cheap.

8 hours ago, Simon Chaddock said:

Tesla already claim the loss of capacity is only 3% after 1000 discharges. That's 250,000+ miles.

If that proves to be true what loss of range would be unacceptable? 20% or a million miles?

That seems a bit optimistic - their own latest figures indicate it's more like 10% in 200k miles, though there is a bit a variance across the different cell cehemistry and pack sizes they have made over the years. It's impoortant to remember though that EV batteries discharge at far lower rates and are managed far more carefully by their on board BMS', heat pumps etc. than our RC packs, which have a very hard life by comparison. 

Edited by MattyB

Regarding storing LiPo batteries, I have found that a balance discharge to storage voltage and then placing them in the workshop fridge at about 4 degrees Centigrade preserves them such that many months later the pack voltage loss is hardly measurable.

This makes sense to me as chemical activity is usually slowed down at reduced temperatures.

The downside is that packs require to be removed from the fridge at least 24 hr before re-charging and use.

6S 5000mAh packs.

Chris

I assume this is in preparation for use - where a warm pack will deliver its energy more efficiently. I’m told that it’s  standard practice to heat packs for demanding competition in F5b and I expect this applies to any competitive high performance  discipline. I’d expect the car brigade’s storage regime to be the same as ours though.