RC airplanes on TV

3 hours ago, Clarence Ragland said:

If I could get local clubs to "embrace" my method, that would be the start of everything working out the way I would like. I've said it many, many times, club don't embrace my method because it brings in more members than they want.

I’m sorry, but your oft stated view that it’s the approach to training that is the causing participation the hobby to drop is like claiming stamp collecting is dying out because people don’t like the taste of the glue…. ?

30 minutes ago, john stones 1 - Moderator said:

So clubs don't want more members, that would strengthen the BMFA/Clubs position and give Clubs/BMFA the means to spend on their sites and make improvements and the well being of the hobby, Clarence ?

And this is because of Bruised Egos ?

Clarence is in the US; his beef seems to be with the US industry and AMA. Based on his posts to this forum and the content of his website I am not surprised they choose to ignore his offers/requests.

Edited by MattyB
  • Like 1

I'm afraid this method comes over like one of those clickbait adverts which litter the internet - a hook and then pages of vague information, leading (presumably, because I've never got that far) to an opportunity to part with money.  Presuming this is not the intent, perhaps some more information detailing the "wonder method" would invoke more interest?

Otherwise, pitching it at forums such as this with an audience of many long term modellers who have evolved teaching methods over decades isn't likely to tempt industrial or organisational interest.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

"Lists" !, when clubs have 30 + members you will probably find that less than 10 will be at the field regularly,

so why limit the number ?.

Most clubs have a maximum number of members written into the club rules for one reason or another, the number of members who actually turn up and fly is a different issue and has no bearing on the number of new members allowed to join.

1 hour ago, john stones 1 - Moderator said:

So clubs don't want more members, that would strengthen the BMFA/Clubs position and give Clubs/BMFA the means to spend on their sites and make improvements and the well being of the hobby, Clarence ?

And this is because of Bruised Egos ?

Hope your teachings better than your sales pitch, Lol.

Let's hear your sales pitch. lol

Clarence is on the other side of the big wet bit just to the west of you John, where the corrupted version originated.  I certainly don't hear the abbreviated word at my club and I don't think it's generally in use even by the internet generation.

I'm sure we were all educated properly by copious repeats of Reach for the Sky!  5 minutes 40ish....

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Martin Harris - Moderator said:

Clarence is on the other side of the big wet bit just to the west of you John, where the corrupted version originated.  I certainly don't hear the abbreviated word at my club and I don't think it's generally in use even by the internet generation.

I'm sure we were all educated properly by copious repeats of Reach for the Sky!  5 minutes 40ish....

Airplane is just the American spelling and is very widely used on the internet. It is not a corruption. The first airplane was invented by the Wright brothers, there was even a movie called Airplane etc etc.

11 hours ago, J D 8 said:

Have never liked the now popular term " airplane "  It always used to be aeroplane or aircraft.

Absolutely right. In this country the correct spelling and pronunciation is aeroplane. Similar thing with  'stabilizer', the correct and more accurate description being 'tailplane'.

Edited by Cuban8

2 minutes ago, Cuban8 said:

Absolutely right. In this country the correct spelling and pronunciation is aeroplane. Similar thing with  'stabilizer', the correct and more accurate description being 'tailplane'.

Yer going to have to explain that one C8. A citizen of the higher half of the American continent would think that as an aircraft sticking out of an anus. Improbable, or even impossible, but such is the English language. Vive le difference

1 hour ago, John Stainforth said:

The first airplane was invented by the Wright brothers, there was even a movie called Airplane etc etc.

Not quite. The first man carrying aeroplane was designed and built by Sir George Cayley but before that the first powered aerplane, a 10ft span model was built and flown by John Stringfellow, both achievments in th 19th century. 

So the first aeroplane was invented by Stringfellow, not withstanding the fact that Leonarda da Vinci sketched the concept in the 15th century.

Anyway we invented the language, so the correct spelling is "aeroplane". 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

What about the French Ader Avion III  14 October 1897

That was long after Cayley & Stringfellow were both dead.

The Ader also never demonstrated that it was capable of flying under control so didn't beat the Wrights.

2 hours ago, Don Fry said:

Yer going to have to explain that one C8. A citizen of the higher half of the American continent would think that as an aircraft sticking out of an anus. Improbable, or even impossible, but such is the English language. Vive le difference

Sorry Don, you've lost me on that one.

The airplane V aeroplane thing is not so clearcut. I have US aviation books that refer to our spelling, but they do date from the 40s and 50s so maybe its something that's developed over the pond in the last few decades? Odd how some Americanisms catch on here easily while others never do. Trunk for the boot of a car, sidewalk/pavement.....plenty of others if you think about it.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, PatMc said:

That was long after Cayley & Stringfellow were both dead.

The Ader also never demonstrated that it was capable of flying under control so didn't beat the Wrights.

A good point - the Wrights were the first to think about and understand the importance of control in pitch, roll and yaw and the interaction between them. OK, their solution wasn't very efficient but it proved their concept and produced a series of successful machines that were, however,  very limited in scope for further improvement and bogged down further by legal wranglings to protect their patents.  I wonder what would have happened if Wilbur hadn't died so young and whether the brothers would have reacted to the advances from the likes of Curtiss and Bleriot and produced more conventional designs?

2 hours ago, Cuban8 said:

The airplane V aeroplane thing is not so clearcut. I have US aviation books that refer to our spelling, but they do date from the 40s and 50s so maybe its something that's developed over the pond in the last few decades? Odd how some Americanisms catch on here easily while others never do. Trunk for the boot of a car, sidewalk/pavement.....plenty of others if you think about it.

No, the word "airplane" is much more than a few decades old. "According to Merriam-Webster, the word first known use of the word airplane was in 1906, about three years after the Wright brothers took to the air on the first successful flight with the 'flying machine.' "

5 hours ago, Don Fry said:

5 hours ago, Cuban8 said:

The Americans use horizontal and vertical stabilizer for tailplane and fin, respectively. The former are at least as correct and accurate as the latter.

Incidentally, when I have used the term "undercarriage" in America, Americans generally think this is very quaint. They use "landing gear".