RC airplanes on TV

I do wonder why aeronautics wasn’t corrupted to Airnautics - the reason often given for the widespread adoption of the word airplane being that the “aero” prefix sounds old fashioned to US ears. 

What do I know though - I still enjoy referring to radio frequency receiving apparatus as wireless…

On the subject of heavier than air flight, I’m firmly in the Sir George Cayley camp. Derek Piggott’s flight in the replica of his machine adds great weight to his claims and proves that there was a reasonable measure of aerodynamic stability and control inherent in the design. Cayley stated that a form of internal combustion engine needed to be developed before heavier than air flight could be sustained but didn’t live long enough to take advantage of the Otto Cycle. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ernie said:

Forget about the Wright guys, and the Frenchie Clément Ader, what about the flying scot  Percy Pilcher in 1899?

ernie

Pilcher never flew anything other than hang gliders he was influenced by the success of German - Otto Lilienthal who flew his hang gliders from about 1891.

The Chinese were using man carrying kite at least as far back as 559 AD when the then emperor was using them as an amusing way to execute condemned prisoners.

One prisoner, Yuan Huangtou, who survived a flight of about 1.5miles had his execution reprieved by the Emperor but was sent back to prison where he starved to death.

33 minutes ago, Tim Kearsley said:

That's exactly what I was doing. 

No, you were being abusive. 

BACK ON THREAD: I doubt there is much of a general public desire to see model flying on TV outside of segments on magazine style shows as mentioned above or the single example of the Battle of Britain FPV dogfight used as pop historical illustration, which only resulted in a rain of foam and the Germans coming across as much more competent modellers. 

Really, who wants to watch a programme about middle aged grumps playing with toys in a field? I do that, and I don't. 

Possibly a broadcast FPV race series would be popular with the wider public. 

55 minutes ago, Lima Hotel Foxtrot said:

BACK ON THREAD: I doubt there is much of a general public desire to see model flying on TV outside of segments on magazine style shows as mentioned above or the single example of the Battle of Britain FPV dogfight used as pop historical illustration, which only resulted in a rain of foam and the Germans coming across as much more competent modellers. 

Really, who wants to watch a programme about middle aged grumps playing with toys in a field? I do that, and I don't. 

Now, I don’t watch much television anymore. But I read with quite a bit of interest, last year?, about a dating program where the prospective mates marched on naked. Oooooo I lusted. But, never hearing more, I assumed it failed to amuse.

Watching a FPV race series on an empty stomach would challenge. Say 4pm, I’m always busy then. Middle age grump, signing off and proud.

As the wife of a much missed moderator on this forum said “not chasing skirt down the pub, but in a field in the middle of nowhere with his like minded mates” Guilty as charged.

18 hours ago, John Stainforth said:

The Americans use horizontal and vertical stabilizer for tailplane and fin, respectively. The former are at least as correct and accurate as the latter.

Incidentally, when I have used the term "undercarriage" in America, Americans generally think this is very quaint. They use "landing gear".

Not so sure about the 'stabilizing' characteristics of a tailplane or fin given the definition of 'to stabilze'......make or become unlikely to change, fail, or decline. I've been in a few aeroplanes in bumpy weather where there wasn't much stabilisation in either pitch or yaw.

Edited by Cuban8

13 hours ago, Lima Hotel Foxtrot said:

BoB Model Squadron was a travesty and did our hobby very little good IMHO. Yes, it was all there, smashed up models, political correctness and a lot of pure silliness. As for FPV racing as a spectator sport - I'm afraid I can't think of anything more boring and repetitive.

There was a programme broadcast quite a few years ago about R/C aerobatics and followed the preparations of a competitor, I think for the UK or world champs. Don't remember the details, but recall it being very good and showing that part of our hobby/sport in a positive way that's usually reserved for much higher profile and £ swamped popular sports. Not sure if it's on YouTube, will have to check.

Edited by Cuban8

4 hours ago, Cuban8 said:

BoB Model Squadron was a travesty and did our hobby very little good IMHO. Yes, it was all there, smashed up models, political correctness and a lot of pure silliness. As for FPV racing as a spectator sport - I'm afraid I can't think of anything more boring and repetitive.

There was a programme broadcast quite a few years ago about R/C aerobatics and followed the preparations of a competitor, I think for the UK or world champs. Don't remember the details, but recall it being very good and showing that part of our hobby/sport in a positive way that's usually reserved for much higher profile and £ swamped popular sports. Not sure if it's on YouTube, will have to check.

So that's why the BMFA had a lot of enquiries, after BOBMS. The hobby is supposed to be fun, if not give up and take up watching paint dry.

• Like 2

On 10/01/2022 at 11:58, Cuban8 said:

The airplane V aeroplane thing is not so clearcut. I have US aviation books that refer to our spelling, but they do date from the 40s and 50s so maybe its something that's developed over the pond in the last few decades? Odd how some Americanisms catch on here easily while others never do. Trunk for the boot of a car, sidewalk/pavement.....plenty of others if you think about it.

In the USA they drive on the pavement ?   Also what about parking on driveways and driving on parkways.  Language is interesting, especially its variations.

There used to be a full-size model of Percy Pilcher's hang glider at Stanford Hall near Loughborough.  It's where he met his end doing a demonstration flight.  It's very similar to the gliders the Wright brothers flew from Kill Devil Hill at Kitty Hawk so I guess that, whilst the Wrights were the first to fly a powered aircraft (a very short distance you can walk in a couple of minutes), all the early pioneers relied on the efforts and experiments of those who went before.  Few (if any?) later designs used the canard design of the Wright Flyers and were quickly much more successful eg Bleriot's cross channel flight.

There also used to be a vintage motor cycle museum there which is why I used to visit.

Geoff

6 hours ago, Cuban8 said:

Not so sure about the 'stabilizing' characteristics of a tailplane or fin given the definition of 'to stabilze'......make or become unlikely to change, fail, or decline. I've been in a few aeroplanes in bumpy weather where there wasn't much stabilisation in either pitch or yaw.

I assure you that the sole role of the vertical and horizontal stabilisers (fin and tailplane) is to stabilise - that is, maintain and bring back the plane back to an equilibrium position. That does not cut out small bumps, because it takes a finite time for the plane to respond. (Though quite how a kestrel maintains an absolutely fixed position in bumpy winds is a wonder to behold!.) Modern airliners have a great margin of stability built in, particularly in pitch. This stability comes at the cost of an enormous downward load on the tailplane (horizontal stabilizer). 

1 hour ago, Geoff S said:

There used to be a full-size model of Percy Pilcher's hang glider at Stanford Hall near Loughborough.

There is, but thats the wrong Stanford Hall Geoff!  ?

Its still there, according to their website, but its the Stanford Hall between Rugby & Market Harborough.

https://stanfordhall.co.uk/family-history/collections    (about half-way down the page, after the boring paintings...   )

spacer.png

Anyone planning a visit (its a great day out) make sure you go to the right Stanford Hall, dont go to Loughborough   ?  ?  ? 

Cheers

Phil

Edited by Phil Green

1 hour ago, Geoff S said:

There used to be a full-size model of Percy Pilcher's hang glider at Stanford Hall near Loughborough.  It's where he met his end doing a demonstration flight.  It's very similar to the gliders the Wright brothers flew from Kill Devil Hill at Kitty Hawk so I guess that, whilst the Wrights were the first to fly a powered aircraft (a very short distance you can walk in a couple of minutes), all the early pioneers relied on the efforts and experiments of those who went before.  Few (if any?) later designs used the canard design of the Wright Flyers and were quickly much more successful eg Bleriot's cross channel flight.

Geoff

It's a common misconception that the Wright's were the first to fly a powered aircraft. In 1894 at Balwyn's Park, Bexley Hiram Maxim demonstrated his "flying machine" that managed to leave the ground under it's own power albeit unintentionally. Maxim's aircraft weighed 3.5 tons & was powered by two steam engines.

In France in 1890 Clement Ader experimented with a steam powered aircraft tethered to a central point. (First to attempt RTP flying !!?) During one sortie the machine broke the tether & flew briefly for about 50 or 60 ft.   

The Wright's achievement was to fly a powered aircraft under full control but unlike Maxim & Ader their aircraft relied on a catapult launch to assist take off, even the ones demonstrated in Europe several years after the success at Kitty Hawk.  

• Like 1