Thunder Tiger Cessna

Tom Flynn 1

Hi All

I have bought an ex club members collection of model aircraft bits.

One of the aircraft I have bought is a TT Cessna, which looks like it has been a favourite, but the plastic is now a very

dirty looking brown colour, no doubt from hanging in the shed for so long.

Any idea’s on how to clean it back to the white it was when originally assembled.

thanks

Tom

Great model. I've had 3 of them over the years, all of which were fitted with floats for waterplane flying. They fly well, if a little "heavy" (especially with floats), and can bite if you try to fly too slowly. If you're brave then try spinning it!

I think they are moulded from ABS and therein lies the problem - the plastic degrades over time with exposure to sunlight, hence the dirty brown/yellow discolouration. On my first model I noticed that the hinges on the elevator were cracking. When I grabbed the elevator to give it a tug, my fingers and thumb met in the middle! There was similar brittleness on all the control surfaces and the model had to be scrapped.

Something to watch out for...

Hi Nick

well I have been out playing with it this morning. I have tried T cut, Jif, and WD40, so now the plane is

clean but the discolouration is still there.

a Jupiter came with this model, and yes that plastic had started to crack, luckily a friend took it off my hands so

I will see what he decided to do with it.

As I said the Cessna looks like it was a favourite model, but a few years hanging up in a shed, after the guy packed up, followed by lockdown, hasn’t helped the material.

I had a carosel from ARC and it used the same plastic construction. As Nick found, my model slowly degraded to the point where it was becoming unsafe to fly so it went in the bin. A shame though and i keep looking out for new in box models but there are none to be found ? 

My 20 year old Jupiter is still a regular flyer, probably my most flown aeroplane. Likely has lasted so well as it was painted when new and had protection from UV. Couple of hinges have been replaced by slipping in some balsa between skins and fitting pin hinge. Also been keeping an eye for NIB of any of the range but none to be found.

4 minutes ago, J D 8 said:

My 20 year old Jupiter is still a regular flyer, probably my most flown aeroplane. Likely has lasted so well as it was painted when new and had protection from UV. Couple of hinges have been replaced by slipping in some balsa between skins and fitting pin hinge. Also been keeping an eye for NIB of any of the range but none to be found.

Hi JD8 some guy has just put a NIB plastic plane on BMFA classified. A trainer of some kind, you never know????

That may well be a Ready then, had one once a bit fast for a trainer but a good second model that could handle some wind.  Been unable to access BMFA site classified for some time. Been in touch with them and hope glitch will be sorted with this years renewal.

As a recap what was the full range of ARC Modelfly models?  The ones I can find are:

1. Ready & Ready 2
  2. Carousel
  3. Jupiter
  4. Cessna 177
  5. Beaver
  6. RF4 Motor Glider

Were  there any others?

I'm also trying to establish the historical connections, if any, between ARC, Mantua Model and Aviomodelli.  They all seem to have links to Cremona in Northern Italy and have each offered models with the ARC type construction.  I hava a GoFly glider which has the fuselage and tail in very similar construction to the ARC Ready.