OS K6 Sparkie

John Minchell

Its probably worth a fortune to the right buyer and running it would reduce its value. That said, i understand your desire to use it as that was its purpose in life. 

I see it like this. 

Pro's for running it:
You want to enjoy using it

Con's for running it
You reduce its value as a collector item
You risk destroying it if there is a crash
There are no spares for it should something go wrong

So you can either run it and enjoy it, not run it and keep it in a box just enjoying the fact that you know its there in mint condition, or sell it and recycle the funds into an engine you are prepared to run. 

I am in this position myself with an Enya 240v. Its new in its box. Should i keep it hidden away? sell it and just use a laser 300 (which is a better engine with spares support etc)?, or run it and just have fun with it? While not completely decided, keeping it hidden away is not an option so its either getting used or getting sold. There is just no point in having it clutter up the place if i am never going to use it. 

If its NIB it will fetch a good price on  auction sites like Ebay as these engines are rare. Once used its price will tumble.  If sold abroad use Ebays Global Shiping Program . The buyer pay the cost and it takes all the risk from selling abroad provided you describe your item honestly and accurately with plenty of pics.

Gildings has imo been overated  dumping ground for years with occasional gems but you pay the price.

39 minutes ago, Engine Doctor said:

If its NIB it will fetch a good price on  auction sites like Ebay as these engines are rare. Once used its price will tumble.  If sold abroad use Ebays Global Shiping Program . The buyer pay the cost and it takes all the risk from selling abroad provided you describe your item honestly and accurately with plenty of pics.

Never, never, never send collection engines through the eBay Global Shipping Program. The operators have confiscated many engines, supposedly for "safety" reasons (they may contain fuel residue).

These engines are then lost and are not returned to anyone AFAIK.

Read this link:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/search.php?searchid=84808323&query=pitney bowes

and if you dig around, there are many other examples.

Edited by brokenenglish

2 hours ago, brokenenglish said:

Never, never, never send collection engines through the eBay Global Shipping Program. The operators have confiscated many engines, supposedly for "safety" reasons (they may contain fuel residue).

These engines are then lost and are not returned to anyone AFAIK.

Read this link:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/search.php?searchid=84808323&query=pitney bowes

and if you dig around, there are many other examples.

Sorry , I disagree. I did have one engine confiscated  when GSP first started but I was paid my money and buyer was also repaid. I have since sent many engines abroad via thier GSP and not had any issues . Unlike the engine that " never arrives" and dodgy buyers that seem to be on the increase. Always check buyers feedback before posting. But Ebay GSP has worked OK for me. 

21 minutes ago, Engine Doctor said:

Sorry , I disagree. I did have one engine confiscated  when GSP first started but I was paid my money and buyer was also repaid. I have since sent many engines abroad via thier GSP and not had any issues . Unlike the engine that " never arrives" and dodgy buyers that seem to be on the increase. Always check buyers feedback before posting. But Ebay GSP has worked OK for me. 

OK, we disagree. However, I'm surprised that you should have an engine confiscated (for no valid reason) and recommend them!

Something peculiar happened with my link. I tried it twice when I posted, and it worked OK. Now it doesn't. Let's try this one.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/search.php?searchid=84809249&query=pitney

Edit. That link just worked immediately after I posted.

Edited by brokenenglish

for only 200 quid i would hang on to it and use it. if you sold it to fund a replacement engine it would cost you more so you might as well go ahead and give it a go. If the engine was worth north of 500, as i thought it would be, then its another story. 

• Like 1

I discussed this with Frank the other day on the phone as the same box (still unpacking after moving house) offered up the Merco 61 sparkie and also a 10cc Hornet from 1946 which I had refurbished.  The thing is the Merco can go straight into a model and be run, but the Hornet or the OS K6 would need an rc carb grafting on and silencers making.  I just fancied a 8 or 9ft vintage model with a sparkie for floating about at the end of a days flying and had a choice of powerplants for it.  Looking at the Jasco Flamingo as a pretty model to build and will probably use the Merco, even though that is also NIB - but worth less than the OS or the Hornet.

Got a BNIB Merco 61 spark(factory model not a conversion) but have never run it. You may find something on YouTube to give you an idea on the running qualities, props, etc. I think I would ditch the two position timing original ignition and investigate the use of a Chinese unit with the auto advance facility.