Plastic models, anyone on the forum building?

martin collins 1

I put a couple of posts over on the Biggles mess thread but decided to start a separate one here. My r/c building table was moved out of our lounge for the Christmas/New year festivities and replaced with a smaller dinning room table so my stuff was all put away for a few weeks. Unable to sit still i thought i would drag out an old (1973) Revell Heinkel HE111 plastic kit in 1/72 scale which takes up a lot less room and makes a lot less mess than my flying stuff. I hadn`t built a plastic kit in 45 years but thoroughly enjoyed it. It seems a lot of the technics and materials have changed, i used to dunk the decals in warm water before applying, now they go in decal solution which softens them and helps them adhere better to the surface detail. I ended up brush painting it as i always used to as it was an old kit and there are no paint masks for all the glazing on this kit but most modern ones have masks available so that glazing frames are painted in or sprayed then the masks removed, boy they get it easy nowadays! Here are a few part done and finished pictures, i have ordered a few more kits in 1/48 scale as the parts are a bit larger for my aging eyes! If anyone is putting plastic kits together post some pics and thoughts on the latest detailed kits, some of ones the manufacturers now produce have amazing detail in them.

IMG_20211230_103531_resized_20211230_103557687.jpg

IMG_20220111_145348_resized_20220111_101147395.jpg

IMG_20220111_145253_resized_20220111_101149560.jpg

IMG_20220111_145507_resized_20220111_101146677.jpg

• Like 4

I have a substantial stash of plastic kits but currently nowhere to put them when finished. I have a variety of WWII aircraft and a pair of star trek ships. i also want another model of the titanic as the one i built when i was younger got broken and i would like to have another go. so much to do, so little time/space/money! 

Still, you have sown a seed. Perhaps i will dig them out of the loft and see if any take my fancy. 

• 2 weeks later...

We all probably started with an airfix, then control line, then when RC gear became cheap ( affordable , dumping gear on UK market ? ), Moved up 

My generation are probably the original glue sniffers...

Yes lots of untouched static kits in the loft , revel gigantic and the special he111 tug, wonder how much they are worth today ?

Anyone ....

Need new fuel lift pump for the car, ouch !

Edited by Rich Griff

• 3 weeks later...

I have a revel gigant in the loft, cant remember if it's the glider one or the one with lots of engines.

I also have the modified he 111 ? The bomber that bombed everywhere, the one that has two fuzzez and 5 engines.

Will bring down for kit numbers...I don't do eBay.

The gigant is probably the glider one due to the double fuzz tug kit.

Now there's a challenge for someone, RC gigant, rocket assist take off with parachute recoverable rocket motors and the double fuzz tug !

RC tank driven in, clam shell doors close, tug tows gigant, release, glider lands and then tug does.

Clam doors open, tank drives out and let's off a round or two !

Seen a vid of gigant loading, take off with 3 tugs, tugs have a problem and the whole shibang crashes.

Edited by Rich Griff

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Rich Griff said:

Nice...

Meteor enquiry....double sided trailing arm main undercarriage ?

Not entirely clear in the meteor book I have...

F8 , someone was enquiring...

There is a wondrous invention called Google. It allows you to search for anything. Try typing the following three words in and looking at the pictures it sends you: "gloster meteor undercarriage".

How true...a really poor signal here, tooo many mountains probably.

I spent 3 fruitless hours yesterday trying to get info ( front, side and plan view, section outlines would be good also ) on a particular drone which I would like to make.

I enquired if a mate who has lots of profile mags, no joy. He spent all morning looking on internet, and found some info for me, thanks rich.

Someone on here was enquiring about meteor undercarriage, hope he sees your post.

Stay safe out there...

He was actually enquiring about replacement parts for an ARTF Meteor kit, not details of the fullsize. 

You often ask question on this forum without any evidence of you having used the vast resources of the internet to do a bit of prior research. People on here are extremely helpful, but if you just demand info from them, it's a bit of a one-way street.

Signal strength is poor here, I don't care what e say, shaving someone on Snowdon which is about 5 miles away to the left of our house, e is rubbish here.

Signal continually drifts so I go up to the lads house to do PayPal etc.. so I can complete the transaction. Thier signal is temperamental too but better than at my house.

We've had only had electricity here since 1968 !

No landline, internet phone.

Now the chap knows.

If you don't know, just ask.

Edited by Rich Griff