The PSSA 48 Hour Build Challenge! - 'One Sheet is Plenty!'

Phil Cooke

With our latest Mass Build project all wrapped up, a group discussion over a few pints of Tim Taylors Landlord had us thinking about a different way of building in an attempt to have some fun over the winter break and producing some exciting new PSS models to test at the start of the 2022 flying season.

The focus was on a relatively small, cheap and quick to build scale model and we came up with the concept of the 48 Hour Build Challenge – ‘One Sheet is Plenty!

1526376849_48hronesheet.thumb.jpeg.ba89e71c99a7f92e862aae4b6b92ae45.jpeg

The aim is simple – Using only a single sheet of high density foam board and a single sheet of balsa – each modeller will scratch build and finesse a scale R/C model fit for use on the slope within a 48 hour build window.  The model must be representative of a full-size powered aircraft, and after the 48 hours are up it must be in a fit state to fly from the slope.  The choice of subject, it’s size, scale and complexity are left completely up to you, your only limitation is the raw materials used for construction and the overall time allowed for the build! 

Typical R/C fittings and hardware can be utilised in the build as needed but the primary building materials must be limited to the foam and balsa sheeting!  Work on the design concept, plans and preparation for the build can start now in advance – the 48 hour limit is solely for the build!  Ideally the model would be a bespoke ‘Own Design’ creation but builders can also adapt an existing plan if that’s less daunting.

As with the traditional Mass Build concept we’re all in this together and the aim is to build simultaneously over the chosen weekend of 5th and 6th March.  We will run a pre-event Zoom call on the Friday evening for anyone who is keen to register and take part.  The Zoom call will enable us to introduce our chosen subject matter and show off any drawings you may have already compiled to aid your build.  The build itself will commence from 6am on the Saturday morning and will run until 6am on Monday 7th March.  Monday evening we will aim to repeat the Zoom call to show off the fruits of our labour – no doubt with a well earned beer!  For anyone wanting to take part who’s unable to match those exact timescales due to work or family commitments – please join us and pick your own 48 hour window as close as you can to the target weekend – we’d really like as many members to take part as possible!  The aim is to bring all of the 48 hour build models together when we meet for our first event of the 2022 season on The Great Orme on April 9th and 10th.

So that’s the plan – we’ve already seen a lot of interest in the concept and I think we should have a good collection of bespoke hand crafted foam models at the slope in April – who knows what types of PSS model it will generate!?  Use the time now to choose your subject and get drawing/sketching so you can commence your build running…The clock will be ticking! 

If you would like to take part in the Zoom call at 8pm (UK time) on Friday 4th March please drop me an email to register and I will add you to the invite when it goes out – [email protected]

Edited by Phil Cooke
  • Like 6

I like the idea as well, but must admit am a bit stumped as to what to build. My thought processes have revolved around Flitetest and fold up profile fuselages but that’s about as far as I’ve got!

Anyone got any design ideas they’re happy to share? ?

thx

idd

@IDD15I have not done PSS, but I have done power models from foam board. For only one sheet it feels as though it is going to be small or a flying wing. Horten?

Flitetest Spitfire simple build is about one and a half sheets. Might be possible to do it in one sheet, especially if you used the allowed balsa sheet for the tail.

17 hours ago, Dad_flyer said:

@IDD15I have not done PSS, but I have done power models from foam board. For only one sheet it feels as though it is going to be small or a flying wing. Horten?

Flitetest Spitfire simple build is about one and a half sheets. Might be possible to do it in one sheet, especially if you used the allowed balsa sheet for the tail.

Oooh nice idea, a clubmate has one and it’s a very good flyer. My only doubt would be whether the wing section would work for a soarer. If it didn’t work it wouldn’t really matter as it could be electrified for the field and nothing would be lost. Definitely worth some serious thought even though it might be stepping a bit outside the original intentions of the build! 
thx 

idd

Hi all !

I think i'll go for a mirage 2000 D for this one.

The plan is to slice-up my foam board into layers of 5 and 3mm.  5mm for formers and ribs , 3mm for sheeting. The nose will be carved from two half foam blocks ,from the rest of the board , hollowed out to make room for electronics.  Ailerons will be made from the balsa sheet. The parts will be glued together wit UHU por to speed things up.

I already found a bleuprint with enough sections to draw-up a buiding plan. As i understood , we can do this upfront so i don't have to do this in the 48 hours.

It's a fairly simple fuselage and wing ,no tail , and just two servo's to worry about ! Peace of cake !?

Mirage_2000D_(cropped).thumb.jpg.4848bbe9c0591104c16c6bd362f77792.jpg

x

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Alan Gorham_ said:

Since we seem to be nailing colours to masts, here's my choice:

Avro Ashton

1434663617308.thumb.jpg.3ae2e3e04da7734309bee3cb531e9ee9.jpg

I reckon there's enough meat in my sheet for an 86" span, 64" length model which is just under 1/17th scale. Nice clean and simple lines.

Nice! Very unusual subject.....

11 hours ago, dirk tinck said:

Hi all !

I think i'll go for a mirage 2000 D for this one.

The plan is to slice-up my foam board into layers of 5 and 3mm.  5mm for formers and ribs , 3mm for sheeting. The nose will be carved from two half foam blocks ,from the rest of the board , hollowed out to make room for electronics.  Ailerons will be made from the balsa sheet. The parts will be glued together wit UHU por to speed things up.

I already found a bleuprint with enough sections to draw-up a buiding plan. As i understood , we can do this upfront so i don't have to do this in the 48 hours.

It's a fairly simple fuselage and wing ,no tail , and just two servo's to worry about ! Peace of cake !?

Mirage_2000D_(cropped).thumb.jpg.4848bbe9c0591104c16c6bd362f77792.jpg

x

Wow Dirk! Great choice and your method of building sounds good too!

Hi fellow 48'ers

My ideal is for a straightforward build that will not require too much shaping.

Its gonna be big, its gonna be slow, its gonna be square and simple  -  and the only way I will be able to get a flyable model in 48h.

Based on the Hamilcar glider, this variant the Gal 59 Hamilcar X was powered by 2 Bristol radial engines, developed for the war in the far east but never saw action. The only colour scheme I have found is simple wartime camouflage so she is a warbird ! Might even put an M22 Locust model tank in for scale !

The plans are being drawn, and redrawn so hopeflly I'll have something to share on our zoom meet. I'm cutting some templates for the fuselage, but have not deided how to shape the wing. Should be well prepared for the off anyway! Looks the biz doesn't it ?

26-1.jpg

29-4.jpg

royal-air-force-general-aircraft-limited-gal-58-hamilcar-x-20180720-01a-03.jpg

m22-locust-driving-off-a-hamilcar.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

2022 has begun with the omnipresent Omicron and a depressingly inept UK govenment . Our six nations kick off has not excited me as much as  it used to  as Rugby has been badly affected by the virus and is not going to be back to normal at least until next year. The Forum mass build (not pssa) https://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/index.php?/forum/114-the-2022-forum-mass-build/ seems to be coalescing around a traditional Keil Kraft design and has failed to inspire me. Do I sound down ? I'm NOT ! 

This 48hr challenge has had me buzzing. A few days ago my block of foam arrived. It was cut  raggedly and so I have squared it off. My plan for the aircraft has been modified and is almost usable. The list of bits I need is taking shape and I still have things to get to make it flyable - I've tried as far as possible to only use items I have lying around and not spend too much !  My research led to an on line chat with another forum flyer who has already succesfully built and flown a Hamilcar and his advice and experience has been invaluable - thank you Simon

So I am getting ready for the event and must say I can't wait !!!!!   Well done to you guys thinking this up - Brilliant :)

33 minutes ago, Alan Gorham_ said:

The powered version of the Hamilcar I hope? Or else it's not PSS!

Hi Alan,

Yes its the Hamilcar X if you go back on this forum you'll see my pics. The story is that I was planning to build a Horsa but that was not powered so didn't fit the bill. The Hamilcar however offered the glider plus the powered conversion ticking the boxes. And if it doesnt fly well as a soarer it will be easy to add motors ?

29-3.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, David Sack said:

Hi Alan,

Yes its the Hamilcar X if you go back on this forum you'll see my pics. The story is that I was planning to build a Horsa but that was not powered so didn't fit the bill. The Hamilcar however offered the glider plus the powered conversion ticking the boxes. And if it doesnt fly well as a soarer it will be easy to add motors ?

29-3.jpg

Good stuff Dave

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The Hamilcar X.  ? Sacky, that's the bird I was thinkin' about, too!   Fits the 24 hour build madness perfectly!

I've had the unpowered original Hamilcar design on my wish-list for a while now.  Last year I had some FF scale glider drawings printed up from the OuterZone website, thinking this could be a fairly simple project that I might actually be able to complete.   

I took this photo just now...  in the foreground is a great old Aeromodeller magazine plan, and in the background is a (less romantic!) contemporary re-draw/upgrade.  Each plan is on two pages;  only one of each is shown here.

Drawings.jpg

Edited by John H. Rood
  • Like 2

Hi John,

Your plans look similar to the ones I have, the difference being the wing. The centre section on my plan looks  wider and allows for the mounting of the engines - I plan to have the option to mount 2 electric motors. My wing plan was based on the photos I could find. I think the model is do-able in 48h. My preparation so far has been to cut cardboard profiles for the fuselage. When the 48h begins I'll cut the fuse first then the wing centre section and then the outer wings. A balsa trailing edge from the 1/8 sheet ( I got the longest I could 48 x 4 ). The tailplane has been marked to be cut from the 1/8 sheet and will be straightforward.    My aim is to have the wings and fuse covered in newspaper ready for painting - though that will be after the 48h I am sure.  As long as its flyable thats the task !   I'm thinking to use three servo's, tail, rudder and a flexible snake to the ailerons from a central servo with no flaps - your thoughts appreciated on that one.

29-4.jpg

26-1.jpg

P14949P1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have built a few hot wire cut foam wings but not attempted a fuselage before, so this seems a good excuse to give it a try. My chosen subject is the Blackburn Firebrand and I have downloaded and printed out a three view image to produce a model with a 51in span and 38in in length. I am using 2in thick sheet EPS and divided the fuselage into four sections. I have fashioned a new cutting bow as my wing cutting bow is too long and unmanageable. Be interesting to see how that works out.

If reasonably successful the plan is to cover the airframe with brown paper and PVA. Apart from the balsa reinforcements (LE, dihedral braces etc.), some carbon fibre strips will be added to provide some extra stiffness hopefully - if I get that far!

999A096C-517F-4AA5-9F07-220C71B6E95F.jpeg

Edited by Piers Bowlan
  • Like 2