Bearings: Who needs them?

Christopher Wolfe

What an absolute load of rubbish, there are already enough idiots out there still clinging on to the old ways of castor (it may have its place with old engines) etc, but as manufacturers strive very hard to produce powerful, light and reliable engines some plonker does this.

No doubt manufacturers (including Jon) could make your hair stand on end with some of the completely stupid and unsafe things people have done, but its best if its kept in the sin bin where it belongs.

PS the manufacturer would never have designed/expected that level of vibration/stress and the likelihood of a component catastrophically failing with the prop coming off would IMO just be a matter of time.    

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Martin Harris - Moderator said:

Well, that’s one engine where the crankshaft isn’t taking any thrust load on its front bearing Jon!

Absolutely. I wonder what happened to it. I mean the whole front section of the crankcase is missing. I can understand that it might crack in a crash, but to come away completely is a surprise. 

I am also shocked that it is hanging on to its cam timing. I would expect movement like that to be enough for it to skip teeth but apparently not. 

Edited by Jon - Laser Engines