Super Scorpion - by Belair Kits.

And a removable top-cover too.
I love the shape of this bit; this is probably why I bought the Scorpion.

You can see a couple of 'spare' fuselage pieces in the plastic container on the bench; I have no ide where they're supposed to go ?.  But I daren't throw them away; just in case !

20220421_173149.jpg

Edited by Martyn Johnston
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, Martyn Johnston said:

You can see a couple of 'spare' fuselage pieces in the plastic container on the bench; I have no ide where they're supposed to go

They look like P and N

image.png.516e1814802367fda2a79b029d73edea.png

the description makes me think that they are 1/8 x 1/2 frame on 1/8 sheet to make 1/4 thick formers. 

Belair could have interpreted this as doubled up identical formers. Only a guess BTW. 

Steve

5 hours ago, Martyn Johnston said:

It's been a while guys.
Been laid up with Covid; v.ill for about 7-8 weeks. Largley better now but still get shattering fatigue episodes sometimes.

Good news that you're recovering.  I has if for far less than you, but still have a little cough (4 months later), easily fatigued, and according to my wife, I have brain fog! 

I now try and do as much modelling and pottering sitting down, and make sure I take a camping chair to the flying field.

Your  build is looking great! 

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Now trying to see how the wing fits to the fuselage.

As with every stage of this build there's bugger all info on the plan.

There's no way of 'locating' the wing at all, should there be ?

As the photos show there's a gap all the way under the curve of the wing. If I assume the wing sits just in front of the rearward fuselage former there's no obvious fit at the front. The curved front of the wing could sit anywhere it wants on the front fuselage former (part 'D' on the plan).

Should I find a way to 'pin' it, or should it be allowed to wobble about ?

20220923_110722.jpg

20220923_110806.jpg

"There all built like that Sir"

If you look at Earlybirds model  (page 2) there are a couple of shaped cross braces to support the wing. [and also brace the sides]. Not shown on the Super Scorpion plan.

Both standard Scorpion and Super plans show an under-cambered wing section on flat cabin top sides. I presume the shaped cross braces would stop the wing from rocking side to side ? The front of the wing rests on the cabin front upturn for location.

Personally I would build a strip on each side of the cabin top shaped to match the under-camber of the wing for support and infill.  Probably not really needed but would help to keep dirt/oil out of the cabin and make the wing position more secure,

Regarding the two cross braces, leave these off until the radio gear is fitted making for easier access.

Standard Scorpion plan Outerzone.

https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=5785

This shows 'wedges' on top of the cabin front as well as the ones on the sides.

Ta John,
I can easily add some shaped sides (using what's left of the rib cutout sheet).
But can't see what to do with the center of the front edge of the wing. Whether I leave it on top of the fuse former (D) or cut a V-shape into that former to fit the wing will affect the incidence\of the wing.

And I'm assuming that the wing should sit just in front of the rearward fuse former.
Q. Should the front-center be 'located' properly' ?
And should the front be 'pinned' or should it be free to move in case of a hard landing ?

Edited by Martyn Johnston

1 hour ago, EarlyBird said:

The TE sits on the former and the LE lines up with the windscreen. On your photo above the wing is too far forward, I think.

I think you're right that it's too far forward, but that image from the plan is pretty useless in real life.

The rear would comfortably sit 'in front of' the fuse former, but I think 'on top' (somehow) is better (I'll have to cut a vee to suit).

And the front just doesn't want to work at all. I'll have to cut a curved vee in the former (D) but risk affecting the incidence.

(NB there are no straight lines here anywhere; certainly not the bottom the wing like in the picture).

On 02/10/2022 at 11:35, Geoff S said:

Oratex is similar to Solartex but Sarik Hobbies sell Diacov 1000 which is similar but would need to be painted.  I have some but I've yet to try it in anger.

I've not used Oratex.  It's just as expensive as Solartex isn't it.
Solarfilm seems a lot cheaper; is that any good ?

Used both Solartex and Oratex and feel that the Oratex was harder to cover with compared to Solartex.  (Now a mute point as Solartex is no longer available.)

Also Oratex is eyewatering expensive at about £17 / meter.

https://www.rapidrcmodels.com/oratex-natural-clear-1-10-metres-ora10-000-010-11401-p.asp

I would like to try the Diacov 1000 but it would need painting as it's not available in colours.

The films are much cheaper but they will not give you the "cloth"  finish if that is required.

May have to go 'old school' and revert to nylon and dope.😉

Edited by John Wagg

Still bemused by how to align/attach the wings.

I've created a little ply backstop behind the rearward former, so the back of the wing sits on top of the balsa former, and cannot slide backwards.

Not sure about how to stop any misalignment though. Does anybody use magnets to locate the wings. I've done that with the engine-cover, but never done it with wings.

• 3 months later...

Just noticed this build, pleased to see it.  I have the kit in a building queue but admit that some of the build is a bit obscure so glad you’ve put some good pics in the article.  Was planning for mine to be IC but who knows, in the lap of the gods at the mo.  

S

Edited by Stuart Z