Super Scorpion - by Belair Kits.

The whole empennage was built to be removable, but the distance from where the snake left the fuselage to the clevis was far too far and it bent too easily.
So I've decided to glue the tailplane on permanently (wish I'd done that in the first place).
Then I've added another support (you can see it o the last photo - don't know why the photo looks upside-down).
Also I couldn't get a wire between the two elevators, so I've added another snake, one for each elevator, and soldered the two clevices together at the front :- might work !

7 hours ago, Martyn Johnston said:

Horrible red shiny modern film on the fin.

Won't use that again; will try and buy some Oratex (wow it's expensive isn't it).

You could try tissue over doculam for your next vintage model. I intend to do that once I've built two more models, repaired two others and covered a fifth. If I'm spared that is!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just flown the maiden 🙂

A little too windy really but I got excited and just had to go for it.

I'd forgotten how long it's been since I flew anything that needed me to use the rudder!

Looked beautiful in the air. But a bit twitchy on pitch. Not sure if it's too much lead, not enough lead, or just too windy.

Will try to set up the CoG properly next time.

🙂 🙂 🙂

Edited by Martyn Johnston

I think it’s twitches are more to do with the wind. Nice looking thing.

I always mix aileron/rudder, so I can steer it on the ground, left hand, and allow my right hand to take over banking it when airborne. Too used to stuff with 4 channels. 

• Like 1

One thing I noticed on my 2 Super 60s is that they can handle the wind quite well.  One 3 ch and one 4 ch.  Possibly typical of vintage types.  Certainly better than a typical foamy. 

And agree that mixing aileron/rudder is good if you normally fly 4 ch.  It’s easier than trying to remember which thumb to use. Tried without the mixing and had a very inelegant take off dance. 

S

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
On 18/02/2023 at 18:23, Martyn Johnston said:

Should I just aim for the main spar and hope for the best ?

On 02/04/2023 at 11:56, Martyn Johnston said:

Just flown the maiden 🙂

A little too windy really but I got excited and just had to go for it.

I'd forgotten how long it's been since I flew anything that needed me to use the rudder!

Looked beautiful in the air. But a bit twitchy on pitch. Not sure if it's too much lead, not enough lead, or just too windy.

Will try to set up the CoG properly next time.

🙂 🙂 🙂

Hi Martyn, where did you end up with the CoG?