Super Scorpion - by Belair Kits.

I think I've just realised that this shaped ply (and a similar one without the round cut-out) should have gone in BEFORE I glued the two halves of the fuselage together (there are actually two on the plan, but four provided; I don't know why yet).
- It would have acted as the template to get the angles right.
- It might have explained where the second diagonal goes.
- It won't go in now; there's no way to get it into place without breaking something.
I love building but I'd have liked at least a few comments/suggestions on the plan ?
I still can't imagine why I should cut the side slots longer.

The only reason I can think of is so the side ply engine bearers will be bigger and stronger for RC the same as the other strengthening elements like the balsa infill at the front.

There is no detail for the servo tray. ?

I am thinking this model is not for the first time builder due to the lack of instructions.

9 hours ago, Martyn Johnston said:

I definitely CAN'T get the two plywood bulkhead parts into the fuselage now it's assembled.
I'm gonna have to 'break' some joints to get them in ? .

Before I do, do I need to make the undercarriage wire and either fit it, or at least position the saddle clamps, 'cos there's no access afterwards..

After drilling for the U/C, cut the two ply formers vertically down their centrelines.  Glue each half in separately, then fill the kerf with thin ply and/or epoxy a strip of said ply over the rear of each former to reinforce the joint.

Re the 1st diagonal - it doesn't appear in the original 44" version.  The way it's drawn on the BB plan indicates it goes behind the engine bearer.  It doesn't - it abuts it like the 1st vertical former does at former A.  I don't think the extra cut-out in former B is necessary.  I guess it was intended to make it easier to 'let in' the 1/4 sheet infill 'for RC'.  NB don't let the stringers fool you re the infill - it's in 3 triangular parts and goes from the top longeron/engine bearer, down to the bottom hard sheet former.  Leave off this step until you've got the u/c bolted in.

Motor/ESC/Battery:  Put the motor on an X-mount with standoffs from former A - put a 1/8 ply doubler at the top of A to take this.  If you choose the right X-mount, a 3S (or even a 4S) battery will slide down behind this (between the standoffs) vertically in front of former A.  There's enough room for a 60A ESC in the forward part of the cowl under the motor.  All the major weight in the cowl - balance without ballast... ?

HTH

Edited by Mike T
more info...

• 2 weeks later...

Now revisiting the horizontal stabilizer.
I've built it all in one piece. Then cut along to remove the two elevator parts.
But the plan is really not clear at all about what happens in the middle.
Maybe I've misread it and this rear 'spar' should run all the way across and the 1/16" sheet should go on 'afterwards'.
The first picture here, of the plan, shows a part (white arrow) that surely shouldn't be there.
And I stall can't see how the fin attaches to this.

20220205_160623_LI.jpg

20220205_160632.jpg

Looking at the plan the slot runs from LE to TE and the fin slots into it. But F4 is cut to sit on top of the tailplane, not a good idea, so I would add some balsa to F4 so it fits to the bottom of the tailplane. The spars can all be left in the slot and the extended fin cut around them leaving them in for strength. The plan shows the elevator spar and the tailplane spar are shown as dotted chain lines, I think this indicates that the elevator was an option in the design.

? F4 being cut as it is I would think is a misinterpretation of the plan and is not unusual. 

The last motor number probably refers to kv so 870 would be 870kv = revs per volt which means a 3S Lipo at 11.1 volts would turn the prop at about 9657 rpm.   A 4S  Lipo at 14.8 volts would turn it at about  12876 rpm ( probably too much ? )

The first part of the number used to refer to motor diameter and length eg 35 by 35mm in this case, but it's not always so.

Rather than break the joints to fit those ply parts in why not consider cutting the ply in half lengthways and seeing if they can be fitted in without disturbing the framework?   The cut in part A could be glued and reinforced by a ply crosspiece just where the u/c bolts are located.   Much easier to get all the u/c bolt holes and everything arranged before fitting!   Part A will need a hole drilled to allow the wires from ESC to Rx to pass through.  Part B probably does not do much in an electric model so  just lap the cut with a couple of tiny bits of ply.

I see that the 4 Max motor like most of their motors bolts on at the front and the rear part rotates.  Other makes bolt on at the back, also 4Max Value Pack motor.    Use whichever seems better but bear in mind the rotating part must clear all the wires and the Lipo.   The Lipo might be fitted vertically in this model in which case a vertical plate with Velcro could hold the Lipo and keep it away from rotating part of a front mounted motor.

The top fin slots into the tailplane. In the top photo you can see tabs that are inserted into the slot. The tailplane spar goes right across. The elevator spar is cut so the elevator is in two pieces and there will be a wire joiner. The part of the sheeted and fixed elevator will have a slot for the elevator wire to pass through and will be glued in place after the elevator is fixed in place. This maybe is not Belair plan but gives you the idea. Follow the link and towards the end is an electric version.

I would expect the tailplane to fail if the spar was not continuous.   Might fail in flight or just when knocked putting it into the car.   Easier to fix now!

The 4 Max motors when backplate mounted often need the shaft cut off to allow the Lipo to come well forward.   It seems people wrap the motors in tape to prevent metal swarf getting inside and then use a cut off wheel in a Dremel.   Personally I find it easier to buy motors with the shaft the correct end to avoid this.