Weston UK Fuel

Martin Arnold 1

On 17/01/2022 at 09:04, Nigel R said:

They do state they have an anti-corrosion additive in there. Perhaps that reacted with something in your previous blend?

Or the oils didn't mix? I though there was an issue with differing oils not playing nicely together.

It was a strange 'problem' in that once the carb needles were cleaned off and the jets flushed through, the engines started and ran well for the rest of the day. I'd run the engines dry at the end of a day's flying but even so, the next week the 'Dairylea Cheese' was back. Even when I was on the last dregs of the gallon the problem persisted so I'd have thought any remaining residue of my usual Laser mix would have been long gone. Once back on the Laser juice normal service was resumed.

I hate unsolved mysteries, but I suppose life's too short to get worked up over a one-off short term problem,  as I won't be using the 'Brand X lubricant' fuel again.

Hi, have you discussed the problem with Weston? There must be a reason for it to happen. Speaking personally I've used nothing else but Prosynth in all my engines, including Lasers, for over 20 years and have never seen this. As, I suspect, have large numbers of modellers.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Cuban8 said:

It was a strange 'problem' in that once the carb needles were cleaned off and the jets flushed through, the engines started and ran well for the rest of the day. I'd run the engines dry at the end of a day's flying but even so, the next week the 'Dairylea Cheese' was back. Even when I was on the last dregs of the gallon the problem persisted so I'd have thought any remaining residue of my usual Laser mix would have been long gone. Once back on the Laser juice normal service was resumed.

I hate unsolved mysteries, but I suppose life's too short to get worked up over a one-off short term problem,  as I won't be using the 'Brand X lubricant' fuel again.

All i can say what after run do you use? because that's the only thing you probably didn't change

I have used prosynth for many many years and on lasers too!, also many others in my clubs (probably 99% members do) with no gunge or dirt or running problems and very clean engines with none of that horrible lacquer build up you get from fuels with caster content.

Years ago before going to western I used to mix my own fuel with 15% ML70 as It was hard to get no caster fuel with a lower oil content. Never any problems there either and 4t really loved it and my mvvs and supertigers too.

So i have concluded that it is caster that's the problem and it was used before my time because there was no other alternative??

• Like 1

23 hours ago, flight1 said:

All i can say what after run do you use? because that's the only thing you probably didn't change

I have used prosynth for many many years and on lasers too!, also many others in my clubs (probably 99% members do) with no gunge or dirt or running problems and very clean engines with none of that horrible lacquer build up you get from fuels with caster content.

Years ago before going to western I used to mix my own fuel with 15% ML70 as It was hard to get no caster fuel with a lower oil content. Never any problems there either and 4t really loved it and my mvvs and supertigers too.

So i have concluded that it is caster that's the problem and it was used before my time because there was no other alternative??

I never use an after run oil on an engine that I know will be in regular service throughout my flying season (usually March to November). I do run engines dry (sometimes I do forget to) at the end of a flying session but will only oil up an engine over the winter months or if I wish to lay it away for some reason. Nothing fancy, just regular cheap motor top up oil that I'll flush away with clean glow fuel  before recommissioning the engine.

Years ago I used to use after run ( even some quite expensive brands that promised all sorts of miracles) but I was never convinced by it and the claims made for it. I still had bearings wear and fail from time to time and I could see no difference to the internals of a motor that had been after-runned regularly to one of my old hack engines that I left to fend for itself.

My conclusion was that adding regular after run was more of a ritual than really doing much practical good - at least for me and how I used my engines. Obviously not a one size fits all situation and opinions and experiences will differ, but my regime works for me. Castor has not been anywhere near my engines for thirty years and I dropped back from 10% nitro to 5% a long while ago as well. I used to use 20% oil content (synthetic)  fuel, but changed to 15% Laser a number of years ago after following Jon's opinions on the subject.

Edited by Cuban8

Well as Cuban8 says I pretty much do the same, not used an 'after run' oil for many years unless being stored or not going to be flown for a while and its a Cheep 2t oil

i find the most important bit is to run the engine dry at the end of the day and store/hang in an upright position.  i used to mix my fuel  15% Ml70 oil before you could actually by it off the shelf.(laser 5 i do believe +GoGlo range )

i have over the years concurred  all that don't believe in myths, fairy tails and place feelings at to higher a factor  and use proper analytical valuations, we all pritty much come to very similar conclusion if not the same. ?

3 hours ago, flight1 said:

Well as Cuban8 says I pretty much do the same, not used an 'after run' oil for many years unless being stored or not going to be flown for a while and its a Cheep 2t oil

i find the most important bit is to run the engine dry at the end of the day and store/hang in an upright position.  i used to mix my fuel  15% Ml70 oil before you could actually by it off the shelf.(laser 5 i do believe +GoGlo range )

i have over the years concurred  all that don't believe in myths, fairy tails and place feelings at to higher a factor  and use proper analytical valuations, we all pritty much come to very similar conclusion if not the same. ?

Please can you have another go at your last sentence: I can't make head or tail of it.

• 3 weeks later...

Prosynth. ..

It is no secret that I have used this fuel in all of my glow engines over 20 years and thoroughly love the stuff. 

I demand a lot from my engines, and Prosynth really delivers it. 

The engines run faster, they stay cool, they stay clean inside and out, and the engines are ultra reliable. 

No weird cream cheese in my engines either. 

When it works so well, why worry about what's in it. . .  ?

• Like 2