N Gauge Model Railways

ken anderson.

dont know if we have any model railway people on the forum,but as an aside to aircraft i decided to have a go with N gauge...i already have some track,trains from a long time ago and have decide to build a layout. Check out my first building's, they are assembled from kits,made from card...i got them from Metcalfe models and you get two in the kit for just over £10,which i think is reasonable. if you are anywhere near 6mm high you can move in....

ken anderson...... ne..1...railway dept

IMG_20220114_094227_1.thumb.jpg.b68b23096f436f17c9d569399ebbc576.jpg

IMG_20220114_094235_1_1.thumb.jpg.b65732c772dc7034a16f0206e2ba9880.jpg

The smaller the scale the more problematic smooth running becomes, i.e. keeping rails and loco wheels clean and electrical pickup good. Larger scales have space inside the loco bodies for flywheels and or 'keep alive' capacitors, both energy storage devices.

The battery and RC technology we see in model aircraft can also be applied to model railways. Making the rails for guiding the wheels only and putting battery power inside the locomotives is now a minority interest. The model railway industry has such a huge investment in DCC (Digital Command and Control) however that battery powered RC toy trains are a DIY option.

Have fun Ken!

• Like 1

Hi Ken, I am at the other end  O gauge, I don't do much now that I am back to aeroplanes but while my wife was alive I was looking after her almost 24/ 7.

I tend to scratch build,  the station is made from card and Depron the stonework was done with a pencil digging grooves it the white Depron then painted with acrylics. The loco is scratch built with brass and nickel silver.  I will get back to it when I hang my flying boots up. 

_20180711_174051[1300].JPG

20160422_122322[2809].jpg

• Like 2

I don't have much of an interest in trains as such but I do find model train layouts provide an enormous breadth of modelling opportunities from topographical, architectural, vehicles, etc that are difficult to find in other disciplines. If I had the space I would love to construct a giant diorama which would perhaps include some track and a train along other details such as a river and/or canal with boats and locks, and suitable waterside buildings. A meadow with some cows and sheep; a campsite for motorhomes, campers and tents with a swimming pool and a kids play area. A small wooded area with tree houses and whatever else the imagination fancies.

I am currently investigating producing one-off architectural models at HO/OO scale in order to generate a little income.

Edited by Steve Colman
  • Like 1

Well Ken believe it or not my wife is a model railway enthusiast, inherited from her Father who was a model railway nut.Over the years she has collected a large amount of N gauge engines, track, rolling stock, buildings etc in the hope that one day I would build a layout. Well I never have, and most of it is boxed in the attic.

The pay back is that for every model aircraft show we attend,  I have to take her to a model railway show. Due to covid over the past few years both have been pretty rare.

• Like 1