Paint colours Park Zone Mossie 49" and Durafly Sea Vixen

Frank Day

Hi,

These are both old news but I've just picked up a brace of Vixens, one just needs a dab of paint here and there, the other needs the full monty. Alternative schemes if known may be interesting.

Parkzone Mossie had an unscheduled landing and needs paint in some areas or a complete repaint, apart from the filling and sanding and bent motor shaft. It would be nice just to tidy it up for now.

If anyone can point me to the correct shades without having to trawl through the complete Tamiya and Humbrol ranges.

Thanks

+2 for B&Q , a word of warning don't take a gloss sample, I bought a Kyosho Spitfire which was complete and had never been flown, the colours on the plastic covering were faded in places as if it had been in the sun. The problem was that it had become brittle on the wing which was only part sheeted. So after patching it up a couple of times I decided to strip it and cover with lam film which went well. I took a sample of the old covering to B&Q  and the match was nowhere near the right colour. I have used B&Q on numerous occasions and until then always used a matt sample.

Thanks guys,

I've seen threads from the US re colour matching at DIY stores but didnt know about B&Q. I know Homebase do matching but im assuming B&Q have the options we need.  Is this acrylic paint?

I have matt parts or with a very slight sheen, so should be ok.

How are you guys applying this?

Frank

34 minutes ago, Frank Day said:

Thanks guys,

I've seen threads from the US re colour matching at DIY stores but didnt know about B&Q. I know Homebase do matching but im assuming B&Q have the options we need.  Is this acrylic paint?

Frank

Not sure if it's acrylic tbh.  Seems water based so possibly is.....

I apply neat with a brush, and thinned with water through my cheap airbrush. Nothing fancy, just to touch up foamies.  Which quickly get dinged again of course!

1 hour ago, Frank Day said:

Thanks guys,

Frank

I believe it's an acrylic paint, which thins with water -though I use windscreen washer fluid -and goes on quite well with a brush on my foamies. I've tried airbrushing the suitably thinned paint a few times, with less success, as my airbrush clogged up quite quickly, but then I've tried filtering it through a nylon pop-sock, which held back an impressive layer of solid pigment and did spray a bit better, just onto paper as an experiment.

Best of all is that the colour matching is very good, it covers well and for three quid you get a decent sized tub. So much so that I routinely get the bits of my foamies scanned, so as to have the colours in stock - you can have matt or satin finishes, depending on the aeroplane. For three quid a tub it's easy to experiment.

I hit B&Q with some paint samples for the PZ Mossie, Green & 2 shades of grey matt & semi sheen emulsion. Yes its emulsion.

Did a couple of test areas, sticks better than the oem paint and a pretty good match. brushing with a nice super soft 1" fine art brush worth more than i care to know, thanks love. Well she was out! So the Mossie is good to go. Good value and a fair size pot.

Durafly Sea Vixen,  took a nice sample but ended up with a very very dark grey/ green, nice but not very dark blue.  Will find its way onto something or the bin. Could be a visit to the Tamiya/Airfix recommended colour for this one.

• Like 1

For the B and Q colours you do need to paint a sample on an appropriate base and allow it to dry to judge the colour. The paint is often a completely different colour when you are putting it on - the best example I had was that which I used on my EPP Eurofighter, which was quite a bright pinkish grey on application, but dried to a nice low-viz grey. The girl said the paint is done like that so that you can see where you are overpainting.

One time at B&Q I wanted some paint mixed and they had no tester pots for the emulsion I said just put it in the other pot, the girl said she was not allowed as the tester pots have different bar codes. She said they had pots in for masonry paint and I was assured it was smooth so I tried it and I could not tell the difference, it was water based and went on just as well as the emulsion and up to now  it has been fine.

On 17/01/2022 at 22:01, Frank Day said:

Hi,

These are both old news but I've just picked up a brace of Vixens, one just needs a dab of paint here and there, the other needs the full monty. Alternative schemes if known may be interesting.

Thanks

Frank, apart from the usual grey and white Sea Vixens, the most noticeably different colour schemes are the ones used on the aircraft operated by Flight Refuelling and the Royal Aircraft Establishment at Llanbedr.  Finally there is the very distinctive Red Bull scheme.  The cover shown in the first picture is for a lot more than a decal sheet.  If you google it, you will find colour three views of several different colour schemes.
53302524_SeaVixenColours.jpg.6f3f8149e8aba4784b8b3cfaa1e63f8b.jpg1762342514_RedBullSeaVixen.thumb.jpg.189b2edae63885f51f182893eda12cc0.jpg

Edited by Robin Colbourne

Thanks,

Some interesting schemes.  Mine is the standard colour scheme. It is a very dark blue grey but from some reading it should be a dark grey I think.

Im wondering if it may be possible to salvage the decals during a refurb especially the red ones on top of the fuss.