Best sale location - Flair DR1?

Ian Whittaker

Hi,

ive got an unstarted Flair DR1 kit in the garage. I bought it perhaps ten or more years ago and haven’t touched it - it’s moved house with me a few times but that’s about it. I can’t see me actually building it so where would people suggest I advertise it - the BMFA classifieds, eBay, on here in the for sale section? Equally does anybody have a rough idea what i should be pricing it at please?

thanks,

ian. 

This is the 6 foot span, 1/4 scale one?

If so, I reckon £200, £250 region. 
Where, horses for courses.
I tend to use E bay, don’t bother with a reserve, and live dangerously. Make sure auction finishes on a Sunday  evening, and it’s not a holiday.

Nice kit.

As Don says.

A buyer's big concern on a kit will be 'Is it all there?'.  Take the time to itemise what is in the kit, photograph everything, in focus and close up (you get up to 20 pictures these days, so use them) and mention any damage.  This way you will reassure the more cautious buyers.

Describe how you will pack the parcel, so the buyer knows you aren't just going to stick the delivery label on the Flair box.  To some people it makes a big difference if the original packaging is intact, particularly if it is for a collector or being given as a gift.

Check what the postage cost will be first for a signed for service and make sure its well insured.  Local collection will more than likely reduce the selling price.  Selling aboroad is a fair bit of flaff, but it will again affect how many potential bidders you get.

Consider putting a 'Buy It Now'.  This only costs 50p, and serves two purposes.  It gives impatient people a chance to ensure they get the item, but at a price.  It also gets bidding started, as the first bid gets rid of the 'Buy It Now'; so you can set an auction starting price which you would be happy with if you only had one bid.   A 'Buy It Now' has to be at least 40% higher than the auction starting price, so a £175 starting price and a £250 'Buy It Now' would work.

Finally Ebay do offers every few weeks either 70% off final selling fees, or £1 final selling fees, so watch out for these.  With normal fees around 12.5% this makes a huge difference to how much you finally receive.

37 minutes ago, Robin Colbourne said:

Ebay do offers every few weeks either 70% off final selling fees, or £1 final selling fees, so watch out for these.

with something big it's very much worth hanging on until one of these offers crops up

good advice from don and robin

Edited by Nigel R