BMFA Classified Ad site is changing

Andy Stephenson

12 minutes ago, Keith Berriman said:

Well that's me out of searching  for bargains  I see I need to be a BMFA member  to read them 

No you don't you can still read the adverts. You need to be a member to post adverts and to reply using the inbuilt messaging system. If a person who posts the advert wants to provide contact details they can do in the body of the advert. Pretty much the same as it was before.

Of course BMFA membership is excellent value for money so very worthwhile . ? https://bmfa.justgo.com/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rich Griff said:

You even get a free magazines !

How much is rcme these days ?

That depends on if you buy it off the shelf, subscribe, or get the digital version.

Here in Yorkshire we don't like to buy anything we can't touch, so subscription is the cheapest.     :classic_biggrin:

On 25/01/2022 at 10:11, Wilco Wingco said:

Lets hope that the "conversion" to the new site is a damn site better than this one. The loss of old postings and the inability to connect existing links to information that was "lost" in the conversion is a real pain. 

Shame I was proved right, total shambles the return to classified does not work properly, it loses the format you have chosen i.e list or grid, always returns to grid. Doesn't return to the position in the list that you left, always reverts to grid and top of list.  Just like this site same problems and failings. Won't be using it to look for bargains. What happened to migrating users and passwords to the new system?. 20 year ago I migrate 4000 world wide users to a new I.T system with no problems. So much for progress. 

19 minutes ago, Wilco Wingco said:

Shame I was proved right, total shambles the return to classified does not work properly, it loses the format you have chosen i.e list or grid, always returns to grid. Doesn't return to the position in the list that you left, always reverts to grid and top of list.  Just like this site same problems and failings. Won't be using it to look for bargains. What happened to migrating users and passwords to the new system?. 20 year ago I migrate 4000 world wide users to a new I.T system with no problems. So much for progress. 

Sorry to read you are unimpressed, cannot please everyone though.  Also I do not believe you have been proved right, opinions may vary though. There are a number of significant enhancements over the old system, picture uploading being one of them and the ability to renew adverts when they expire at the click of a button. Something there has been a clamour for.

The site requires a default view of either grid or list view. Personally I prefer the grid view, but I'm not particularly wedded to it and it will be set based on feedback from site users.

Nothing happened regarding migrating site users from the old to the new system. It was never part of the plan for a number of reasons.

• Like 1

Just re-registered with the new Classifieds section, no probs, took a minute or so to complete. New site looks good and seems to be easy to navigate and to contact sellers.

Don't get why some seem to think a photo of their item is unimportant and the annoying +P&P on top of the asking price. I always include P&P and if in the rare event the item can be collected personally will knock off the postage or agree a deal on the price.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Andy Symons - BMFA said:

Of course BMFA membership is excellent value for money so very worthwhile...

Andy, when I offered the opinion here recently that the magazine isn't terribly good, and that I was a member chiefly for the insurance, it was pointed out to me that BMFA performs a valuable service at national level, fighting their corner on behalf of model aircraft flyers. This is a fair point, and I'm grateful. But I'd say BMFA is reasonable value - not "excellent". It would be better value without the magazine - and a reduced annual sub. On receipt of my mag copy, I flip through it when I have a moment, admire one or two pictures of models, then it's recycled. As a fairly new (returned) modeller I find almost nothing in it I want to read. I hasten to add that I hardly ever buy commercial mags like RCME! But that's because I hardly ever buy any magazines, barring The Spectator or sometimes The Economist... Shockingly expensive, and again, modelling mags have very little content relevant to my interests.

Re the BMFA website, when I renew each year I find the site consistently rather weird, logging on via this strange third party - it's not the most intuitive site, somewhat clunky.

rgds Tony

5 minutes ago, Brian Cooper said:

I can view the adverts, BUT when using my Tablet, I cannot login. 

Using the links just gives me a white screen.

Hopefully it's just a few teething problems, and will be working properly soon. 

There are no problems when using my main computer. 

That doesn't look to be a classifieds issue.  Check your email. Replied to your message. ?

1 hour ago, Wilco Wingco said:

it loses the format you have chosen i.e list or grid, always returns to grid. Doesn't return to the position in the list that you left, always reverts to grid and top of list

I do agree that these 'missing' functions are a nuisance but the overall system is far, far better than the old one as is this forum!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wilco Wingco said:

Doesn't return to the position in the list that you left, always reverts to grid and top of list.

It does if you use your 'go backwards one page' (left arrow) button in your browser. Well it does with mine anyway (Firefox). Perhaps there is a technical benefit in using the 'Back to For Sale Listings' button, perhaps on different devices.

The new site seems to work very well as far as I can tell. If uploading photos has been improved then that is a definite plus.

It would be good to still have the location (county) on the thumbnails page as it is an easy way of skipping past larger (non-postable) sale items that are at the other end of the country. Also certain sellers can be instantly identified by their location. A small point though.

Thanks Andy and BMFA for introducing the new version. If you are taking votes regarding the default viewing option, mine is for the list version.

Brian.