BMFA Classified Ad site is changing

Andy Stephenson

14 minutes ago, RottenRow said:

It would be good to still have the location (county) on the thumbnails page as it is an easy way of skipping past larger (non-postable) sale items that are at the other end of the country. Also certain sellers can be instantly identified by their location. A small point though.

I am looking in to whether that is possible.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tony Harrison 2 said:

Andy, when I offered the opinion here recently that the magazine isn't terribly good, and that I was a member chiefly for the insurance, it was pointed out to me that BMFA performs a valuable service at national level, fighting their corner on behalf of model aircraft flyers. This is a fair point, and I'm grateful. But I'd say BMFA is reasonable value - not "excellent". It would be better value without the magazine - and a reduced annual sub. On receipt of my mag copy, I flip through it when I have a moment, admire one or two pictures of models, then it's recycled. As a fairly new (returned) modeller I find almost nothing in it I want to read. I hasten to add that I hardly ever buy commercial mags like RCME! But that's because I hardly ever buy any magazines, barring The Spectator or sometimes The Economist... Shockingly expensive, and again, modelling mags have very little content relevant to my interests.

Re the BMFA website, when I renew each year I find the site consistently rather weird, logging on via this strange third party - it's not the most intuitive site, somewhat clunky.

rgds Tony

To be fair Tony,  BMFA have pretty much reinvented themselves over the last decade and our association is unrecognisable from what it was back in the 1970s when I first joined the SMAE at it was then. No classifieds IIRC in the old style BMFA Newspaper format as it was back in the day. We've weathered the CB radio menace which really threatened the survival of the hobby back in the day when we were on the old 27Mhz frequency in the 70s/80s. Without SMAE/BMFA would we have had the clear 35MHz band dedicated to us?  Similar now to the latest changes in the law that affects us and which  we've discussed to death on this very forum. We're still here and still flying......

The majority of us are what you might call Sunday flyers or just anyday sport flyers who indulge ourselves in the hobby as we prefer around work or family.  BMFA does, I think, do a difficult job of pleasing everyone in the best way that they can - and obviously there will be some things that seem a bit odd or difficult to understand the reasoning behind for the ordinary member. The poor old magazine does get a bit of a bashing from time to time and I have my own opinion about it that I have mentioned before. In particular, having the choice of opting out of a hard copy issue, but overall, for an in-house publication, it does the job but needs to be updated in parts to reflect the changing demographic of our membership if it is to remain valued and relevant for communication of important matters as they affect our operations.

As a club Membership Secretary, I do access the membership portal far more than an ordinary member renewing their annual subs. Maybe I've got used to it, but I don't find it at all unintuitive or clunky although there is a lot of content and as with most software, one doesn't really get to grips with it unless it's used regularly.

£40 isn't a lot of money for what we get and particularly if you consider that you probably spend more on petrol driving to your field and back than what the weekly cost of BMFA membership is.

Edited by Cuban8
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, RottenRow said:

1 hour ago, RottenRow said:

It would be good to still have the location (county) on the thumbnails page as it is an easy way of skipping past larger (non-postable) sale items that are at the other end of the country.

That would be a real help. It was always the first thing I looked for on the old site as I am not usually after small items.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody know why many ads do not display their pictures when clicked on?  I assume that if the listing includes a thumbnail, then the ad itself will include at least one picture?  Some do, some don't, at random.  I thought it might be a log-in thing (only visible to reg. users), but I've logged in to no effect...

PS - as I write, a Zlin 50 is at the top of the 'airframes' listing.  The first pics I can see displayed are in the Skywing Extra 300 ad.

Edited by Mike T
more info

1 hour ago, Mike T said:

Anybody know why many ads do not display their pictures when clicked on?  I assume that if the listing includes a thumbnail, then the ad itself will include at least one picture?  Some do, some don't, at random.  I thought it might be a log-in thing (only visible to reg. users), but I've logged in to no effect...

PS - as I write, a Zlin 50 is at the top of the 'airframes' listing.  The first pics I can see displayed are in the Skywing Extra 300 ad.

Try using a different browser. It's a Firefox issue. Can also hit Ctrl+F5 to get them to show.

I am one of those who have no images with some of the classified adds in Firefox. It seems to be linked to listings by particular users.

No idea what the issue is, but In have found a way round it on my laptop.

If there are no images, right click to bring up the context menu and select "Inspect" from that menu.

925124510_Firefoxnoimage.thumb.jpg.b1315e45fe88b52162dd173153172739.jpg

Once I have done that the images appear along with a coding window at the bottom of the screen - this coding window can be closed leaving me with all the correct images.

Bizarre perhaps, but it solves the immediate problem ?

1067811161_Firefoxwithimage.thumb.jpg.eb776c7f19752f12261b3396c4f7bc87.jpg4489233_Cleanimage.thumb.jpg.c93631e381074192f8704303150fd3ba.jpg

Dick

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

On the BMFA Classifieds where would one see any reply to a query which has been asked of the advertiser? Is there a location for message replies or do sellers just make contact by email/text, since the site asks for email address and telephone number?  I haven't really used the site since the revamp to the new system back at the beginning of the year.