Enya exhaust/muffler options.

Gary Murphy 1

Hi Guys,thanks for the replies.

As mentioned this is a old engine with no threaded holes to mount directly to,this stopped me using a after market item.Think this applied to JUST MOTORS stock.

The Enya site i used did not show any engine parts for the most part OR strip down diagrammes,the supplied owners manual as no parts listed or diagrammes.

I will contact KEN but i am not fixed on it being a Enya item,specially if the noise capture is not great.

I also bought a Enya 19 iv ,this has a clap on muffler supplied. This is in need of a good clean.Again no strip down diagramme present,or parts list.

So after taking the head off, no gasket of any king is present,is that correct? this is a 4004 model

As others have said, the Enya 5224 and 5225 models were designed for a clamp-on or strap-on muffler. The original Enya clamp-on mufflers did not give very good noise reduction and the clamps tend to work loose. They do come up on ebay from time-to-time if you wished to stick with originality. A strap-on muffler, such as the old P&R mentioned would be better.

Alternatively, there are small lugs either side of the exhaust port with pre-made "dimples" intended as a guide to drill holes through the lugs. This needs setting up carefully in a drill press. There is not much meat in the lugs, so drilling freehand risks the drill wandering terminally off course. The holes will end up at 32mm centres, if you can find another silencer or manifold to match that spacing.

I've modified Enya 35's to take an ASP/SC 52 silencer. The ASP/SC 52 silencer holes are closer together(NOT ENOUGH TO MAKE IT FEASABLE TO DRILL THROUGH THE LUGS TO THE OTHER SIDE) than the external dimension over the OUTSIDE of the lugs. So, I milled(you could possibly carefully file) two grooves on the outside of the lugs from exhaust face to the rear step such that there was just clearance for the bolts screwed into the silencer. This has the added benefit of providing rotational support for the now much longer silencer to stop it twisting about the exhaust face. I used the formed Enya thickish metal strap squeezed together to provide a place for the screw heads to pull up against(same as when using a standard Enya silencer). This has worked well and takes the 'bark' out of the 35 with the standard silencer. Do not over restrict the exhaust of these cross flow engines as they will get very hot.

HTH

Edited by GONZO

• 1 year later...

I believe that P&R silencers are no longer made.

Just Engines used to supply BCM strap-on silencers but they are showing "out of stock" on their website. However, they still sell the straps o if you can find an old silencer you may be able to strap it onto your engine.  https://www.justengines.co.uk/shop/exhaust-systems/two-stroke-exhausts/bisson-custom-mufflers-by-engine-manufacturer/universal-strap-on/bcm-strap/?v=11aedd0e4327

Otherwise I'll see what I have amongst my souvenirs. I've owned several Enya engines, my Enya 50 powers the club's Boomerang trainer, and I think that I may still have some of the exhausts. If I have any you may have them for the cost of postage from France,