A bit of a bad run at the field(s)…

Ian Whittaker

A few years back after the Christmas break I popped up the flying field and was truly shocked at my apparent inability to fly even the trainer. Packed up and went home to do 20 minutes on the sim. Headed back the following day and was much improved (well for me!).

I now make a point of flying something every one or two weeks regardless of the weather (part from rain) and have a couple of hand launch low cost models that are tuff as old boots to use.

Could touch on the thorny subject of model stabilization is its the weather conditions causing the problem, but if its out of calibration thumbs the sim is the best option IMO.  

About 12 years ago I packed up because I got fed up with taking them home in bin bags and couldn't afford the repair bills?

Over time I kept seeing birds thermalling so thought it wouldn't hurt to have an electric glider.

Since then I've rejoined my local club and obtained several more models and, so far I've only trashed one model. It was a fast delta which needed hand launching and I hit the stick with my hand as I went to put it back on the Tx, it hit terra-firma before I could correct it.

I've been thoroughly enjoying being back in the hobby but I don't push my luck or my flying skills.?

• Like 2

There are some things like riding a bike they say you never forget [ not sure about that, have not ridden one for some years ] But there are some things you do forget how to do well. I needed to do some welding today and was a bit rusty?to start. Professional aero welders who have taken more than a couple of weeks off have to do a refresh course. Model flying is much the same and I do much the same as Chris above.

5 minutes ago, Simon Chaddock said:

I don't have any plane, currently 30 flyable, that has not been broken to some degree and repaired. Some more than once!

The old adage "If you can't risk it don't fly it".

Be aware the degree of risk is directly proportional to your flight 'currency'. ? 

I have a helicopter that’s a bit like Trig’s broom…

Yup, I only have one that has needed no repairs - a little DLG. All others have had something 'fixed'........ even if it's just a small thing........ like needing a new fuselage and a complete wing rebuild......

Ian - hope these posts are making you feel better.

Edited by GrumpyGnome

Yes 50+ years ago, control line models it probably took me 10 rebuilds to achieve 3 turns before ploughing a model in, I built 3 'Talons'

went down to the field and 1/2 hour later I was back with three rebuilds,,

Good luck, it will pass,,,,

I won't bore you with my Mcgregor radio mishaps and what it cost me in planes and servos, it would take a day to type them out?

Edited by Paul De Tourtoulon
Mcgregor

My go to is still an electric Wot 4, a thumb-steadier.   At 67 I find I get rusty after a fortnight.

The current one (sic) was used to pass my A Certificate two days after a midair with another candidate.   It wasn’t good.   The old wing off the second one was rapidly re-covered and the fus off the third was rebuilt by a very generous clubmate in 2 days.   I think it (they) still have the original motor and esc plus servos but the components of the airframe are indeed a stationmaster’s broom.   Many lessons from all this, the pre-eminent one being, never lack a Wot 4.

I was told when I re-joined, don’t fly it if you won’t risk crashing it.

BTC

I ventured to our flying strip yesterday, little blustery at home but even worse at the strip,

Out with Electric Wot 4 but that was not working correctly only half elevator working ( I Have it on two small servos at rear  )  Quick look  inside to wiring all okay put it a way and try a Tracer e  all tested and ready to go,  out in the strip holding the model you think shall I  well your here now power up and away we go. Being a little light it was being thrown around but quick reactions and settling down we controlled it not wanting to push it  better come in 

So round we come into land nearly there and a gust lifts the wing and Black Bag require.

At home I  check the Wot 4 and find on the wrong model in the TX that saved that also find  Sarick have a reduced price on my Tracer E 

So a good and bad day I think 

Happy flying to all when the weather gets better 

1 hour ago, Keith Berriman said:

I ventured to our flying strip yesterday, little blustery at home but even worse at the strip,

Out with Electric Wot 4 but that was not working correctly only half elevator working ( I Have it on two small servos at rear  )  Quick look  inside to wiring all okay put it a way and try a Tracer e  all tested and ready to go,  out in the strip holding the model you think shall I  well your here now power up and away we go. Being a little light it was being thrown around but quick reactions and settling down we controlled it not wanting to push it  better come in 

So round we come into land nearly there and a gust lifts the wing and Black Bag require.

At home I  check the Wot 4 and find on the wrong model in the TX that saved that also find  Sarick have a reduced price on my Tracer E 

So a good and bad day I think 

Happy flying to all when the weather gets better 

Its a bit contradictory, but windy weather something with a higher wing loading/more mass tends to work better as you can point it at the ground and flair out at he last minute.

Or something cheap and super tough (or both!), how about a WooHoo? Other models are available from Ian!

image.thumb.png.c53623afac2800729e875b88dd350c50.png

After a few weeks away from the sticks, I went flying on Monday and realised how ring rusty I am. 

It became obvious when I had trouble doing the perfect roll going forward or just before the top of a stall turn. Something I can usually do without thinking. 

The rolls turned out a bit barreling and I came to the conclusion I had developed a "wobbly thumb" syndrome when applying the ailerons ...... oooooooer. ?

Now I came rusty to the patch.

Charged the big hack. After a minor maintenance/repair schedule.

So, checked it, pulled it, range checked it, started it.

Checked the motor, and it’s as expected, good to go.

So, off to runway, final checks, fine,  pull throttle, gently. It has a power to weight ratio better than 1 to 1. So it’s easier to limit throttle to less than 50%. And off we go. Minor trim changes, first paragraph, dialed in, and off we go. 

Flight plan, rusty, do a B test sort of thing. Think accurate.

So double decker bus hight circuit, figure 8, entry and exit good, nice circles, stall turn, both ways, nice, not wingovers, turning in the stall. Rolls, 2, centered. Repeat other way, centered. Not great, barreled, but I’m rubbish. Loops both ways, perhaps a bit big, but round.  Landings, roll and go, as in put it down, roll 10 meters, and lift off, and repeat. ………………

10 minutes, lady says, time up.

So cocky, I do a rough approach, slap the flaps on, bit too much airspeed, and it half rolls, so the rudder aileron response just adds more drag, and it dies and drops. No speed, no hight, no ideas.. And I’m over the trees, so even less time. 

And a cataract, right eye,  is playing merry with focus, and I am way out with my distance estimate, far out,  and vision on it is suboptimal, and down it goes.

Cataract gets sorted in 8 weeks, I’ve seen the eye man.

But, point is, this game, game of blood, relax, when the thing is stopped, in front of you, and you see the throttle cut work. 

and I’ve been doing this for long enough I should learn that lesson. Another broken airframe.