Saito Cracked Conrod

Fin 35

9 hours ago, Fin 35 said:

I didn't intend to dismantle the engine, just to remove the backplate to check for swarf. I've only started doing this recently after a bad experience with a new engine that  gouged the piston very badly on the first flick with fuel in it, but that's another story.

9 hours ago, Fin 35 said:

And right too with some engines I used to clean out my' Italian' engines, commonly full of swarf and filings,,,?

Swarf...

Had a new magnum gp40 that had glass beads inside and outside...not good.

I reported it to the supplier and heard nothing for about a month...

I stripped cleaned reassembled and run, I still have that engine which is a bit worn after many gallons of fuel having run thru it, it still runs well.

Then, a new engine arrived by post, guess what, that was covered in glass beads also...

Deaf ears...or blind eyes.

Inform saito to see what they say/think/do...

Just to be clear, the engine that gouged its piston was not a Saito.

Both of the Saitos I've referred to here were perfectly clean inside and out, and nicely greased for their first run. My only concern with them was the line on the conrod and I think we have cleared that up - literally!

Here's an example of a rod when they do let go. This happened in the production test of a 60L Diesel last week, ( quite a big un ). A very rare event but made a bit of a mess. The big end bearing picked up and siezed, leading to massive overheating until the joint fails and the cap comes off before all hell breaks loose. The rod shank itself is still in one piece albeit slighty reformed ?

Rod Jan 2022.jpg

• Sad 1

47 minutes ago, DaveB1 said:

Here's an example of a rod when they do let go. This happened in the production test of a 60L Diesel last week, ( quite a big un ). A very rare event but made a bit of a mess. The big end bearing picked up and siezed, leading to massive overheating until the joint fails and the cap comes off before all hell breaks loose. The rod shank itself is still in one piece albeit slighty reformed ?

Rod Jan 2022.jpg

A mere scratch, nothing a Bédouin couldn't repair in the desert with a hammer and chisel,,,

A few laser rods that died. Laser 70 on the left, crank pin was rusty and it picked up the bearing. 360v on the right, another failed petrol conversion. The bending and discolouration of a seizure failure is very clear. I think Pauls Saito rod failure is a fatigue failure at the oil hole as there are no signs of seizure in his photo. 

20220128_124356[1].jpg

• Sad 1

22 hours ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

Honestly, i have to wonder why anyone is dismantling a brand new engine in the first place. 

... i wouldnt be running the engine with a rod that looked like that.

So how do you decide the latter without doing the former?  ?

26 minutes ago, Martin Arnold 1 said:

All saito singles are pretty much the same, here is an 82 rod, having a mark on both sides would just confuse things...... Simple dot faces forward.

82 rod.jpg

The six different Saitos I have (from 72 to 180) have different strokes, so I expect the con-rods are generally of different lengths, even if this is rather subtle - hence perhaps a need to differentiate them in other ways.