BMFA 100 years....RCME mass build ?

I'm not sure I see the point of a mass build where everyone builds a different model; that's just people looking for an excuse to build something they wanted to build anyway. 

If it's a mass build surely it should be a single model built en mass. 

I know people are going to point out that issues of time and cost ability will vary wildly between modellers, so to that end I suggest something as simple and cheap as possible, an airframe that can be adapted and scaled that also represents the true spirit of the BMFA in being a plane that anyone can deal with, has a pedigree and has been used as an introductory tool for many tyro modellers regarding building and flying:

The BMFA Dart. 

Edited by Lima Hotel Foxtrot
Coz
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Lima Hotel Foxtrot said:

Looking at previous mass builds some years have had multiple models.

For me the aim is to encourage model building.

We could have different models built by a group.

At present the Mini Super 60 has been suggested.

I have also looked at the Vintage Model Company for models suitable for first time builders.

The BMFA Dart looks good, we just need a group or groups of school children.

Any more ideas?

Can I build more than one?

Edited by EarlyBird

4 hours ago, Lima Hotel Foxtrot said:

I'm not sure I see the point of a mass build where everyone builds a different model; that's just people looking for an excuse to build something they wanted to build anyway. 

I know people are going to point out that issues of time and cost ability will vary wildly between modellers, so to that end I suggest something as simple and cheap as possible, an airframe that can be adapted and scaled that also represents the true spirit of the BMFA in being a plane that anyone can deal with, has a pedigree and has been used as an introductory tool for many tyro modellers regarding building and flying:

The BMFA Dart. 

Then build that simple cheap model, in 100 years there's been a whole variety of models and disciplines, all welcome in this thread. "True spirit" ?

4 hours ago, EarlyBird said:

Looking at previous mass builds some years have had multiple models.

For me the aim is to encourage model building.

We could have different models built by a group.

At present the Mini Super 60 has been suggested.

I have also looked at the Vintage Model Company for models suitable for first time builders.

The BMFA Dart looks good, we just need a group or groups of school children.

Any more ideas?

Can I build more than one?

You can build what you like, and as many as you want EB.

On 28/01/2022 at 20:22, john stones 1 - Moderator said:

Been a while since a mass build, we have new members who've never done one.

What's the feelings out there on having one combining the two above ?

Format was aimed at encouraging new builders and models chosen to suit in the orignal ones, format on this (if done) need not follow suit. Help would still be there for the less experienced.

Purpose for me (you may have your own proposal) is to create something enjoyable to do and some interaction between members/threads. Model ? I don't care what models get built, It's the participants that make It work.

What type of model ? Any type, glider, free flight, sports, scale, etc choice is yours.

Input/opinions please.

Fantastic idea John! How about a tweak though, mass build followed by a mass launch across the country, on Sunday 15th May @ 12pm as part of the world record attempt??

I appreciate it is quite a tight deadline though.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Andy Symons - BMFA said:

Fantastic idea John! How about a tweak though, mass build followed by a mass launch across the country, on Sunday 15th May @ 12pm as part of the world record attempt??

I appreciate it is quite a tight deadline though.

The thread can be anything  people want Andy, all ideas welcome, can't  speak for others though. You want to start a thread with your ideas in this section please do.

I must say I lost interest in the mass builds when the model selection was open to "anything goes" However a theme is a nice idea.

Several years ago we did a vintage build, and that would appeal to me again, I always meant to do a larger Mamselle.

Just to throw the cat amongst the pigeons, how about we change the idea a bit and stipulate vintage and diesel powered, it is quite an anniversary after all......

Cheers

Danny

I like the idea of a theme but maybe for this year we keep it open and encourage people to build something that for them epitomises the spirit of aeromodelling over the last 100 years.

For me, that's a diesel-powered free flight model, a genre that I've never done before but always wanted to try.

• Like 3

The BMFA contains a wide variety, wouldn't survive otherwise, so this'll be open to All.

However if some wish to build XYor Z model/type, they are welcome to use the section and form their own group, no issue at all with it myself, the more the merrier. No objection to ideas or opinions either.

Well this is different from the previous ? Absolutely it is, old ones became a chore I felt, was difficult getting things decided and endless debate.

• Like 1

Okay so just suppose we went for the 52" Mamselle by Vic Smeed.

1444287152_Screenshot2022-01-30193031.JPG.7a069730b4a688fd41810ffd4f89e853.JPG

PAW 15 (2.49 cc) DS

£77

For the Masterclass I used to chase a discount on the understanding that A. a few would buy, and B. the publicity.

So if it is £60 and we could get a small discount from Leon, plus a Paw or .15 glow and a two channel Rx. Floats my boat....

Cheers

danny

Edited by Danny Fenton
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, Danny Fenton said:

Just to throw the cat amongst the pigeons, how about we change the idea a bit and stipulate vintage and diesel powered, it is quite an anniversary after all......

Cheers

Danny

I belong to a club that can only fly electric    ......there will be plenty of other clubs the same now.   So that would reduce the numbers of those who take part and actually fly the model!   Or did you mean that electric versions of i.c. designs would be OK?

Edited by kc