Milling machines

Rich Griff

30 minutes ago, Rich Griff said:

Wow rapid electronics, I know your very good, you have been for years, but this is beyond !!

Really well done !

I need to order some voltage regs and serviceall contact cleaner/ lube, mail order and pay Pal, or order and pay via phone and card...

Appreciate that Rich. We are constantly trying to ensure our product range and service meets our customer needs. Obviously, I am not here to promote, but if I can help, I will.

Graham

• Like 2

I have an Emco Sl mini lath and I have also been looking for another lathe of lathe / milling machine,and the prices have put me off as well as getting no sense from the sellers as where I can actually see one, on my lathe they do a post and fixation to turn my lath into a mini miller, then I thought either I could fix my lathe onto a simple pillar drill ( get where I am going ? ) but as I have a simple Bosch pillar drill why not turn down the pillar on it to fit into the stock end of my lath at the place of the motor and use the drill as the milling motor,,,

Meanwhile I am looking for a small vice.

Emco SL pillar.jpg

Paul De T

The problem in using a pillar drill head for milling will be a limited spindle rigidity.

A twist drill is basically a self aligning cutter so the drill spindle and its bearings do not have to resit high side loads. Milling is the opposite so the spindle and bearings have to be much more rigid to prevent cutter chatter.

You would likely find a drill head set up would be limited to fine cuts and using only very sharp cutters but within such a limitation it could prove acceptable.  

Hi Paul, the drawbar is a long bolt that goes from the top down the centre of the quill and holds the chuck or collets firmly in place, 

I have a small mill and sometimes if it is a small job like cutting a groove in some wood for an undercarriage fixing I put the cutter in the chuck, for cutting metal I use the collets to hold the cutter.

I also flew on Newcastle town moor many years ago. 

Edited by Eric Robson
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

What's a drawbar ?

It is a long bolt which screws in from the top of the quill to pull the chuck or collet into the quill.  By being in tension it prevents the chuck or collet loosening and dropping out if you experience chatter on the cutter.

A vertical slide is the usual method for converting a lathe to do milling.  It enables three axes of movement at the cross-slide, so you mount the workpiece there and have the cutting tool fitted in the headstock.

Edited by Robin Colbourne

Thanks, I have looked up all the new words to me for a milling machine,, all double dutch to me,,,?

I have a box of 10mm OD collets but no holder, so I will make one up myself, and as my friend rang me that he has turned down my pillar drill's post to fit the engine bed, "maybe" I will make a steel piece up to put the lathe motor on it as it has  splines on it tu lower the tool, I haven't got the lever but if I could find a metal gear wheel,,,,,

Off to collect it, and look around for a small ( tiny) vice to adapt to it.

Ps, All I really do is make and modify retracts, undercarriage legs and engine mounts so no need to spent a couple of grand on one,,,

lath colett.jpg

Hi Paul . If you intend using a pillar drill as a mill be aware that the cutting action /vibration of a milling bit can make the drill chuck loose in its taper hence a draw bar to hold it firmly in place. You may also find that the bearings fail rapidly as they are not designed for side loads as they are on a mill.

Edited by Engine Doctor

Thanks,,

I found a small vice yesterday and am making some pieces up to fix it to the chariot ( ? ) I milled it using the tool holder and 3 jaw chuck, not a good idea I put the cutting tool into the small drill chuck that came with the lathe, and there it didn't move.

A shame I have so much rubbish an Emco 8 has come up for grabs at 600€,, just the job !

ddd335751dd47eda1822c1590954756e14c3abbd.jpg