Mini Super Belair Kits

EarlyBird

It's not incidence that's causes the wing to create lift, it's the angle of attack. The angle of attack is dependant on the difference in incidence between wing & tailplane and the thrust angle and the cg. i.e the three angles and the cg position are inter-dependant.

Normally the thrust angle is at a fixed angle wrt the wing, the cg is also fixed laving the tailplane to trim the wing AofA via the elevators.  

If the model has a forward cg position it will require a greater AoA to fly straight and level at cruise power. It will be less sensitive to elevator control but more sensitive in pitch to variations in thrust. 

Packed the TE up by 2 mm and removed the down trim which improved the tendency to climb under throttle. I checked the glide angle with no power followed by a landing which resulted in a little bounce. Power landings although good are not easy due to the large effect of one click on the throttle stick has. Now I have a choice either to keep flying as it is and probably get used to it or change the prop for a 10x4. ? then I could pack the TE a bit more, say by 1 mm. I do like experimenting (playing) it's part of the fun to me. 

Steve

• Like 1

Just realised that I had one of these a few years ago. I picked it up at a swapmeet for £40 and it came complete with OS15, 3 servos but no receiver. It also had the TE packed up by a few mm to prevent excessive climb under power and was quite fun to fly, albeit somewhat limited in its capability.

I sold it off after a year or so to free up some space and recouped my original outlay.

• 1 month later...

Bought a 9x4.5 prop to reduce power and climb rate. Test flight at half throttle needed elevator down trim but not excessive. Partially successful and what I expected, having done similar experiments with a Super 60. Increasing to full throttle did not cause a huge increase in speed, maybe lacks power. I have to decide what to try next my thoughts are to pack up the TE by another 2mm and maybe go back to the 10x5 prop. But there again, as I have said before, I could just fly as it is and get used to it.

Steve