Different flight modes - sport, aero, normal - and hover?

Ian Whittaker

Hi all,

Ive got both my helicopters (Trex 550 and 700) set up in a similar manner -

normal throttle curve - starts at zero at zero stick, ramps up to 50 quickly at about 25% stick then flat at 50 to full stick, -4 to +11 degrees pitch,

idle up 1 -  a flat 50 throttle (governor controlled by the esc), identical pitch curve, and

idle up 2 - flat 60 at the esc, pitch at +-11 degrees. 
I use the normal throttle curve for spoiling up, taking off and usually landing, Idle up 1 for normal sport flying, loops, circuits, stall turns Cuban 8s etc and idle up 2 for inverted hovering and when I’m trying my more aggressive manoeuvres. I’ve got them set so the transition between modes is pretty smooth, with little if any jump up or down. 
All flight conditions use a similar 20% expo on aileron and elevator, 30% on rudder. 

Im now finding I want to practice more slow speed manoeuvres - with a view towards a BMFA ‘B’ test.
Would people suggest I adopt a third mode to go with idle up 1 and 2, perhaps labeled as ‘Hover’? I’m not sure what settings I’d use, hence this monstrosity long post. I’m quite happy with the rotor speed in idle up 1, but thinking would a smaller pitch range be beneficial, say, 2 to 9 degrees as the hover is about 5~6 degrees, giving easier to give the fine precise control required for my hovering practice? Equally I’m thinking a little less expo?

Any opinions would be gratefully received!

thanks in advance, 

Ian. 

It seems to me that your idle1 would be the one to concentrate on.  What exactly is it that you think is hampering your precise control?  For me, getting it to hover at 50% stick position is quite important, so if it's hovering at, say, 60% stick, then adjusting the middle section of the pitch curve could help.  Also, remember, for more precise control you need less expo.

BTW, are you talking about flybarred or fbl machines?

Edit:  When I started out in helis I used a Normal mode similar to yours, except that it was up to almost full head speed at about 10% stick movement.  Once I got used to hitting the motor-stop switch in case of emergency, I abandoned Normal mode and fly only in Idle1.  With the original Normal mode I encountered a few instances where I had difficulty when a sudden updraft ceased -- having pulled back on the collective stick to stop the heli ascending quickly, I then had the problem when the updraft ceased that my head speed was then too low for a quick upward correction.

Edited by Allan Bennett
  • Like 1

Thanks for the opinion Allan,

It’s a pair of flybarless machines, Align 550X and 700x to be accurate. I do much / most of flying in idle up 1, general club flying, and I’m a bit reluctant to modify it too much. I’m thinking that perhaps a smaller pitch range of, say, 2 - 9 degrees in a purpose use hover mode will allow a finer control and allow more accurate height control rather than -4+11 in idle up 1? 
I do nearly all my flying in idle up 1 or 2, using the normal mode really for just spooling up / stopping the head , switching from normal immediately after taking off and back either just before or just after touching back down. There’s no reason of course to say I couldn’t simply set up a ‘hover’ mode and try it (safe height, obviously!), my transmitter has the facility for another flight mode easily enough, and I can also get it to adjust the expo on the same switch. If I don’t like it then I could revert to as I am now and simply practice more! What I really need to do is have more flights dedicated to practicing the BMFA B schedule, laying a few cones out at the correct distances….0C5521C7-F2BE-4CBE-9B2D-7E3ED9E81C21.thumb.jpeg.9584fcb19890a072555518b337db2680.jpeg

If it's hovering that you need to perfect  -3 / +8 is enough, or -4 / +9 in windy conditions +5 at half throttle with the stick

in the centre using a 'flat' pith curve, this of course with the right head speed, I can't help you there as I only fly methanol,

a Raptor .50 and a Robbe Millenium ' Youngblood '

If my memory does not fail me, my Raptor head speed in hover is 1.700rpm and my Millenium is 1.550 rpm

Edited by Paul De Tourtoulon
Head speeds

16 hours ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

If it's hovering that you need to perfect  -3 / +8 is enough, or -4 / +9 in windy conditions +5 at half throttle with the stick

in the centre using a 'flat' pith curve, this of course with the right head speed, I can't help you there as I only fly methanol,

a Raptor .50 and a Robbe Millenium ' Youngblood '

If my memory does not fail me, my Raptor head speed in hover is 1.700rpm and my Millenium is 1.550 rpm

Thanks for that Paul, I’ll give that a go. I can always tweak it as I wish, that’s a good start point at least!