Taranis X9D+ switches self destructing

Stephen Belshaw

Got myself ready to go out for a quick fly today, checked my Tx only for switch SF to fall apart as I moved it. As the particular model I was planning to fly doesn't need this I took the Tx apart, removed the loose parts and taped over the hole. Came back from my flying session and noticed switch SB was loose so went to tighten it up only for the same thing to happen. I use SB as a rates switch so don't really want to be without it. Sods law of course comes in to play as tomorrow is forecast sunny and 13 degrees here (rare opportunity for this time of year) so was planning to go for a longer session at my club airfield. Grrrr!

I've ordered some replacement switches but it's rather knocked my confidence in the radio and left me wondering why this has happened. They do seem to have a habit of coming loose and require occasional nipping up, I wonder if my tightening has been over zealous, or is this a common problem?

These are the bits it separated itself in to:

IMG_1467.thumb.jpeg.77f6921c6dc41db12626ba17e5d854dd.jpeg

IMG_1466.thumb.jpeg.f8ac8f715959708abfcafe7a521082bc.jpeg

I wore out SF on my original X9D, but it was my motor arming switch (so the most used) and only cost ~£3 to replace. Not too bad given that’s the only additional cost in ~8 years of use. I wouldn’t worry about it, just test your critical switches once a session and you are very unlikely to have an issue.

Ps - Somebody with a Jeti teased me about this on the day (it did not stop me flying, I just had to reconfigure the motor arming temporarily). I just told him he is perfectly fine to do that when his TX cost per flight reached the same as mine with no switches replaced. By my maths he’ll need to be using it for about 40 years, and that’s assuming I retire my Taranis today! ?

Edited by MattyB
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1