Wot-4 foam-e with AS3X?

Gsky

Hi all,

anyone know if it’s possible to use an as3x gyro with standard wot4 servos?

ive recently installed an as3x receiver setup the plane and all worked well. The. Setup up the as3x and the servo seems to be very noisy and even burning out!

And turn down the gain to the lowest value that you hear a servo response from moving the model.

It sounds like the gain is so high, that the servos are constantly running and feeding back movement to themselves.

This will make them hot that they may burn out.

If on moving the model, you can clearly see a giro response then the gain is far too high.

I've had a Lemon stabilsed RX in my Mk1 Wot4-FoamE for a few years and never a problem.  I can switch it on and off with a TX switch and only use it in windy conditions.   You can see the gyro working hard then, as we get a lot of wind shear and down-draughts at our field - especially with a southerly wind.  Great for cross-wind landings in high wind too.

I have tried a similar setup in an aerobatic model with large control surfaces but this was so tricky to get the gains right that I went back to a standard RX.

However not sure what you mean above Denis - moving the model on the ground is how you test that it is working, and to help set the gain.  If you get no response from the servos when you pick up the model and jerk it around the axes, then in my view it ain't working and the gains need increasing.

13 minutes ago, Romeo Whisky said:

However not sure what you mean above Denis - moving the model on the ground is how you test that it is working, and to help set the gain.  If you get no response from the servos when you pick up the model and jerk it around the axes, then in my view it ain't working and the gains need increasing.

Exactly right Romeo, at set up, have the gain high in order to see for example, as you lift one wingtip, that aileron rises.

But to fly, as per instructions, then the gain down, It can cause servos to overwork, as per Original Post.

17 hours ago, Gsky said:

Hi all,

anyone know if it’s possible to use an as3x gyro with standard wot4 servos?

ive recently installed an as3x receiver setup the plane and all worked well. The. Setup up the as3x and the servo seems to be very noisy and even burning out!

Servos noisy and burning out in his experience

And my suggestion is that the gain is too high.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I checked and my frame rate is set to 22ms.

the initial issue I was having with the as3x was that the rudder was correcting In the wrong direction. I then turn up all the gains to help see the directions and then noticed the elevator was behaving strangely with stick input.

sound like the wot 4 has analogue servo and the only plane I have with analog. So seems like I just turn up the gains too much.

im still not sure why the as3x rudder direction was wrong even after double checking setup orientation and doing a “relearn servo settings”. Maybe the analog servos again.