Reversing Y lead.

Basil

I am finding it almost impossible to find any reversing Y leads ( For flaps). I assume that I could take an ordinary Y lead strip back the cable junctions, and remake the joins in a suitable fashion to make one, I am assuming that they are just soldered together. What leads are reversed? I assume its the Neg & Pos alone.

Is it feasable and achievable?.

I will also search my box of bits for an unused plastic 'Plug' that I could replace the original with swapped leadsl!!!!

What does every body else do, wieght would be a problem.

Bas

Please don’t go reversing any wires in the lead! A servo reverser is an electronic device which translates long pulses into short ones and vice versa. If you can’t find a Y lead with a reverser in one leg just search for ‘servo reverser’ or ‘servo reversing lead’ and I’m sure you’ll find a reversing extension lead that you can use with your standard Y lead.

Not a fan of reversing y leads as i have always had nightmare radio glitches with them installed. 

I echo the comments of the guys above. Do not just reverse wires, this will cause smoke. 

Just flip one servo over so it is in the same orientation as its best mate on the other wing. For ailerons they need to oppose each other, but for flaps they need to be the same. 

Can you not jsut 

1 hour ago, Basil said:

I am finding it almost impossible to find any reversing Y leads ( For flaps). I assume that I could take an ordinary Y lead strip back the cable junctions, and remake the joins in a suitable fashion to make one, I am assuming that they are just soldered together. What leads are reversed? I assume its the Neg & Pos alone.

Is it feasable and achievable?.

I will also search my box of bits for an unused plastic 'Plug' that I could replace the original with swapped leadsl!!!!

Bas

Can you not just put the servos into separate channels and use a mix to get them moving together in the right direction? retty much any radio you can buy today is capable of this, though you could of course be using something older I suppose. Reversing y-leads are all a bit 1990s... ?

Edited by MattyB
  • Like 1

(Sort of) funny story...a friend bought a Kyosho FW190 and started installing the servos.  Oh, thought he, the silly so and sos have reversed one of the servo hatches as it's the same way round on both wings.  He then proceeded to remove the printed covering, reversed the hatch and reapplied it.  When he installed the servo he managed to burn it out as of course it was trying to operate the wrong way.  After discovering what he'd done wrong he decided to buy a reverser rather than rectify the mistake - which would have been great if he hadn't got confused and connected it to the wrong servo...exit 2 more servos in puffs of smoke!

A few weeks later, a far more experienced club member was telling us about his identical new 190 which he was assembling - "idiots have managed to supply it with both flap servos the same way round but I've swapped one now so it's mirror imaged"...

1 hour ago, Basil said:

Any of the above answers; Y lead, with both servos same way, or use 2 channels on the receiver.

If building, I might go with torque rods or bellcranks driven from one servo - not so helpful if you've already got the finished airframe though.

1 hour ago, Martin Harris - Moderator said:

(Sort of) funny story...a friend bought a Kyosho FW190 and started installing the servos.  Oh, thought he, the silly so and sos have reversed one of the servo hatches as it's the same way round on both wings.  He then proceeded to remove the printed covering, reversed the hatch and reapplied it.  When he installed the servo he managed to burn it out as of course it was trying to operate the wrong way.  After discovering what he'd done wrong he decided to buy a reverser rather than rectify the mistake - which would have been great if he hadn't got confused and connected it to the wrong servo...exit 2 more servos in puffs of smoke!

A few weeks later, a far more experienced club member was telling us about his identical new 190 which he was assembling - "idiots have managed to supply it with both flap servos the same way round but I've swapped one now so it's mirror imaged"...

It always astonishes me that when a modeller finds something wrong their default position is that its someone else's fault. Clearly they could never have made a mistake as they know better than everyone, including the people who build the product they just bought, so it must need fixing if something is not right. 

5 seconds looking at the problem (or...the instructions) would have probably revealed the situation. But nooo. cant stop and think, someone pass me the chain saw. ?

Edited by Jon - Laser Engines
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Martin McIntosh said:

Don`t get it. Flipping a servo round means clockwise is still clockwise for the same control input, so simply put a reverser in one lead or use two channels. Alternatively you could move the control surface horn on one flap if necessary.

You will Martin, and both clockwise

But servo on the right, arm 90° to right, clockwise to pull

Servo turned, and on the left, arm 90° left, clockwise still, will push