Warbird wanted and / or advice please

John Botomley

I'm looking to buy a smallish warbird - I'm thinking 3S LiPo size, either hand launch or fixed undercarriage to keep it simple.

I'm advised that the Mustang tends to be one of the more stable ones.....?

I normally fly Futaba FASST , but also have a Spektrum DSM2/ DSMX transmitter.

I would even consider a nitro capable model - I have a couple of spare engines (15 & 19 size)

So - I'm after some practical advice and / or a good used model - WHY??

Small warbirds are rarely the most stable of beasts. Bigger is usually better. 

The question i would ask is what are you looking for? Is this a stepping stone to bigger models later, something fun to fly in the park, something like a fun fighter to offer scale shape but high performance?

If its a stepping stone i would go bigger, if its a park fly then electric foamy jobs are likely to be a good bet. Fun fighter kits have a long history and their performance is both fast and wild at times although a smaller engine can tame the beast somewhat. 

Its just helpful to know a little more about what you want from the model. 

From my experience John, go big or go foam.

Big machines are easier to see and usually have a lower wing loading which normally makes them more predictable and less twitchy.

If you want to go small, go foam. Again the foam small machines are generally lighter so fly nicer.

What you really need to avoid is a small, heavy, highly detailed machine which is a real fight to get into the air, twitchy in the air and a nightmare to land.

I totally agree with Jon, work out why you want a warbird and what are you expecting to get from it.

What is your classification of a warbird, a WWII fighter, a WWII trainer?

What is your flying experience?

Is size really a critical requirement?

Work out the above and then look at a few suppliers and see what is on offer and go from there.

Before the prices got silly when they rebranded to EFlite the Parkzone foamies were a perfect option. Some had retracts, some were handlaunch, but all flew beautifully with pretty much zero bad habits.

The P47 I had was a gem - it had well over 200 flights with zero issues when I sold it on to make space for other projects. It handlaunched great, had plenty of power for scale style flying and could cope with up to 15mph of wind - with a stabiliser added I’m sure 20 would have been fine. Unfortunately they aren’t still available, but the 1.2m P-51 is, though it’s about double the price I paid for the Jug 7 or 8 years ago…

D6DD637F-6035-4518-93EE-A10441371623.jpeg.b77a9a379531271650488ad9e195771b.jpeg

Edited by MattyB
  • Like 2

Hi,

Depends what you want to fly, big warbirds might be easier, but boy are they expensive if it turns into a bin liner job.

If you want to go 3S then go 3S2200 which puts you in the Cambrian FunFighter range, can't say it was hard to fly (ME109). I wanted speed and as it has quite a thick wing and the aerodynamics of a brick its was no EFXtra by a long way despite killing very high C lipos. Launching is much the same as any hand chuck model once you have the technique its easy, but you could always fit a folding prop for a few initial flights.  

Tony Nijhuis does a few small, but only pick them if you can build very light.

If I was to revisit this size I would look very closely at the Cambria (look on facebook) range as they are a modern design and look good quality.

If you can squeeze a bit larger then take a look at the VQ range (I am using Laser 80's in the FW190 and Aircobra) as they fly well and come electric compatible. Alternatively take a look at the Motion RC  kit (I have a P38) and at least they accept it needs to be able to take off from grass!

Lastly if you can find any of the Eflite Parkzone models they were well sorted and fly very well. Ok they don't resemble how a much larger model will fly, but if you intend to fly large models it won't matter.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, John Botomley said:

I'm looking to buy a smallish warbird - I'm thinking 3S LiPo size, either hand launch or fixed undercarriage to keep it simple.

I'm advised that the Mustang tends to be one of the more stable ones.....?

I normally fly Futaba FASST , but also have a Spektrum DSM2/ DSMX transmitter.

I would even consider a nitro capable model - I have a couple of spare engines (15 & 19 size)

So - I'm after some practical advice and / or a good used model - WHY??

Find a Parkzone Spitfire IX - you might get one on the BMFA classifieds. Failing that find a Parkzone Spitfire IX as they pop up regularly on eBay and are fantastic flying machines on 3s1p 2200mah lipos - handlaunch and belly land if that suits what you are after.

If that doesn't work out,  you could try and find a Parkzone Spitfire IX on FB Market place, or maybe Gumtree or a local swapmeet. 

Whichever way you decide to go, did I mention to try and get a Parkzone Spitfire IX? 

1477663888_parkzonespitfire250315.thumb.jpg.faaf6021b521ea5a873c9556dd8b162d.jpg

• Like 2

Richards Warbirds Replica are a 4s3500.  I am yet to fly mine but everybody else swears by them.  

Otherwise the Arrow range seem a cheap reliable foam warbird. 

I think flying style and what you like will depend on what you get.  Do you want to build or do you just want a warbird?   

Firstly, thank you for all of your comments and ideas - I will follow them up.

I'm an intermediate level sports flyer who has come back into 'planes after 30+ with helicopters.

In addition our new club field is not for the foreseeable future suitable for ROG

The plan is get a hand launch / belly land stable-ish low wing / shoulder wing warbird that behaves like a sports  low wing non-scale model.

I've no plans to move onto larger scale machinery - I fly nitro larger intermediate machines 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, John Botomley said:

Firstly, thank you for all of your comments and ideas - I will follow them up.

I'm an intermediate level sports flyer who has come back into 'planes after 30+ with helicopters.

In addition our new club field is not for the foreseeable future suitable for ROG

The plan is get a hand launch / belly land stable-ish low wing / shoulder wing warbird that behaves like a sports  low wing non-scale model.

I've no plans to move onto larger scale machinery - I fly nitro larger intermediate machines 

In that case you have lots of good options in this thread. One more from me... The old Parkzone Gunfighter was a gem, no retracts and slightly smaller at 1m span, but tough as old boots and had zero vices. I guess the nearest equivalent today is that Flightline Mustang from Motion RC, but at 850mm it's a bit too small for my liking. The HK Galloping Ghost seems to fly well and is about the same size as the Gunfighter, but calling it scale or a warbird is pretty tenuous; you could always tweak it and/or dress it up in a different livery I suppose...

H-King Reno Aces P-51 "Galloping Ghost" 9898000029-0 1