Recessing magnets into balsa - tidily!

This is probably elementary to you experienced builders  - I have some magnets, 10mm diameter and about 1mm thick, which I intend to use to secure a battery hatch on a Cessna I'm building.  How would you produce nice, tidy circular recesses in the balsa frame to hold the magnets, so that the magnet is flush with the balsa surface? 

I do the same as Nick. I use 6x3mm magnets from ebay , cheap as chips and normal cyno glues them in the tube cut holes very well  never had a failure yet . I do use them in pairs , ie one in the top and another in the bottom to give a very strong "bond"

do the same in foam but do you foam safe cyno !!

cheers

I use the tiny hatch magnets and drill a hole very slightly deeper, put a blob of epoxy in the hole, then insert magnet and cover with a flat bit of steel covered in parcel tape etc.   The magnet then pulls itself up level with the surface but the epoxy does not stick to the parcel tape. 

Using the same method it's possible to make magnetic saw guides in the manner of the Nobex saw guide.   The saw blade but not the teeth can then run guided along a wood block with magnets flush with surface.

Edited by kc

13 hours ago, kc said:

I use the tiny hatch magnets and drill a hole very slightly deeper, put a blob of epoxy in the hole, then insert magnet and cover with a flat bit of steel covered in parcel tape etc.   The magnet then pulls itself up level with the surface but the epoxy does not stick to the parcel tape.. . . . 

I use this method to get the first magnet flush with the surface, having drilled holes through the two mating surfaces clamped together, to make sure they match exactly.  Then for the mating magnet I put a piece of cling film over the installed one, attach the mating magnet to it (makes sure the polarity is correct!), and then fill the hole in the mating piece of structure with epoxy and clamp it over the magnet until it's set.

Yes, getting the magnets oriented so that they attract rather than repel is fundamental!  I made a hatch for a Warbird Replicas P51 last year and completely forgot this aspect.  Would you believe, every one of the four magnets was in wrongly, so my hatch hovered a couple of inches high rather than provide a firm joint! 

For magnet fixing I always use either soft iron or tinplate on one side with one or two magnets on the other. Iron/tinplate is usually fixed at the rear of the hatch/canopy opening , with hole/slot to take a peg at the front. Magnet(s) are fixed with cyano usually to the hatch/canopy. 

One exception was my MPX Easyglider, which had 4 magnets cyanoed in place when one of the supplied plastic catches broke.  

Edited by PatMc