Spring is here again - who's been flying?

Cracking spring day today and on a day off work too. ?  Had a marvellous time at the field, four maiden flights and a remaiden of a repaired PT-19 model which last flew in 2010, after a crash which damaged the nose, wing mounting plate and destroyed the motor mount.

Everything came home in one piece, I went through a whole pile of batteries, excellent blethering with the guys and had great fun. After a bottle building flight with my venerable E-Flite P-51D, I had enjoyable successful maidens with a couple of recent E-Flite acquisitions - the 1.2m P-47D Razorback and the 1.2m Spitfire XIV. That was followed up by maidens for a couple of wee SEMFF foamies -Bf109e and Zero. My pal Derek captured some of his usual shots and more will be forthcoming, but he kindly provided a few tasters, hot from the camera and right after the flying, which I really appreciate. 

The only thing I'd change is to rebind the Spitfire without the SAFE stabiliser enabled, it certainly stabilises the model, but I felt I was fighting it at times, as it limited the maximum bank angle and tightness of the turn.

1635925018_2990SpitfireE.thumb.jpg.0269df09615afbfe428eb5882202c23c.jpg

The P-47 was the pick of the day for me - superb performance and even better than her little sister the Parkzone P-47. 

1669741446_3120ThunderboltE.thumb.jpg.35c6d9f67ecd32c00c07d36cdb67ec30.jpg

2029471264_3135ThunderboltE.thumb.jpg.dd42b33d518ed582281f43ed08f1faea.jpg

• Like 4

I lucked out today. I had a day's holiday booked, and finished my jobs by early afternoon so it would have been rude not to get out in the sun.

I flew this trio of 'Birds. A Warbirds Replicas Tempest that is newly fitted with retracts, my own design KB-11, and my first foamboard foambird, a Ki45. I had the field to myself, part from the Buzzards, Red Kites and a large herd of deer. A splendid afternoon

Graham

warbird trio.jpg

• Like 4

Had a good days flying with these two yesterday, quite a strong wind but the 110 handled well. The Brian Taylor Tempest had it's 4th outing fly's very well 6min. flight and 40% left in the battery is fine. If you are reading this Mr Fenton please not after the work from home covid restrictions the pilot is now back in the office.

20220322_151530[3054].jpg

20220322_131742[3055].jpg

• Like 4

Went to the field with good intentions and 3 models but, sadly, I left my transmitter tray at home ?   My hand is pretty shaky and, whilst I possibly could have flown, it just wasn't worth it, especially as I haven't flown for months.  So I had a chat, enjoyed the beautiful weather, and came home.  I'm taking a chance and leaving the car loaded for an early start tomorrow.

11 minutes ago, john stones 1 - Moderator said:

Yep, some heat to the sun, loads flying at ours and I forgot my camera, try again tomorrow. ?

There certainly is some warmth to the sun.  When I got back early I watched some of the Tour of Catalunya in NE Spain and SE France and, whilst it was sunny (unlike yesterday), the riders were wearing arm warmers and full gloves because it was so cold.  There is still a fair bit of snow, too.  It's warmer here than in Gerona ?

• Like 1

When I got back after a few hours, my wife admonished me for not wearing sun cream as I was a little red-faced...... I laughed but there is a distinct colour change under my fringe!

Shirts now sitting alongside walking boots in back of car.  Deffo going to turn cold again!

Ten of us turned up at the flying field yesterday. Many of them were novices or inexperienced pilots still feeling their way so I  only had four flights. Three with the Baron minus its Russian cockades practicing for La Coupe Des Barons and one with the Big Guff. On its third flight, the throttle servo on the Baron stuck wide open and I had to fly it about until it ran out of fuel. Barons glide like manhole covers and I was then forced to execute a downwind landing at some speed. Fortunately it stayed on its wheels and no damage was done.

That will teach me to use cheap servos from long-dead foamies to actuate the throttle! ?

Edited by David Davis 2

Second maiden flight this week, after a lot of right aileron it flew beautifully after 4 mins 60% left in batteries 4 4s 3600.  3rd flight at 50ft it went into a flat spin considerable damage but repairable. the only thing I changed was the throttle cut switch from D to A but when I went to fly it it was still on D, it checked out on the ground and took off as normal  till 50ft. on checking the TX it showed throttle cut on switch A. ?????

IMG-20220324-WA0000[3069].jpg

• Sad 1

I remembered my transmitter tray today and flew for the first time in months.  Beautiful weather, of course (for now!) little wind (but boxed the compass in its direction) and shirt sleeve temperature.  Flew nothing exciting, just my old faithful Multiplex Fun Cub and my plan built Liddle Stik,  which flies very well and I'm delighted how a quick cheap build can provide some relaxing fun. 

I also gave my 400mm ws T28 a little airing.  I use my own transmitter rather than the cheapy provided and it's amazing how such small model can fly so well with the aid of the 6 axis gyro.  I usually fly on intermediate mode. Expert mode with no gyro help at all is almost impossible for normal humans and I've never seen a successful YouTube flight.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eric Robson said:

Second maiden flight this week, after a lot of right aileron it flew beautifully after 4 mins 60% left in batteries 4 4s 3600.  3rd flight at 50ft it went into a flat spin considerable damage but repairable. the only thing I changed was the throttle cut switch from D to A but when I went to fly it it was still on D, it checked out on the ground and took off as normal  till 50ft. on checking the TX it showed throttle cut on switch A. ?????

IMG-20220324-WA0000[3069].jpg

Really sorry to hear that Eric. What a shame after after 2 good flights. Glad to hear its repairable though. Good luck with the restoration project.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1