Spring is here again - who's been flying?

Eric,

Sorry to hear about "Double Trouble"s incident.

Does this mean one of the motors cut to produce the flat spin?

I have differential steering on one of my machines which I can switch in and out, does unreal stall turns but if left switched on it does make turns very unpredictable and uncomfortable.

I hope she gets repaired.

1 hour ago, Peter Jenkins said:

Had a great time flying with the boys this morning.  Mine's the funny looking one with a contra prop!

20220324_102409.thumb.jpg.5176c7f947a678235d6f0154a24df0ca.jpg

Yes it really was an excellent day of flying. I had 6 flights with the Sportster (Laser 200 in-line) plus a blast (145.6 mph) with the Kyten and a leisurely float around with my F5J powered glider. Hardly any wind until later on in the day. As a bonus I also got a bit of sunburn!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andy Gates said:

Eric,

Sorry to hear about "Double Trouble"s incident.

Does this mean one of the motors cut to produce the flat spin?

I have differential steering on one of my machines which I can switch in and out, does unreal stall turns but if left switched on it does make turns very unpredictable and uncomfortable.

I hope she gets repaired.

Hard to say Andy, they are new motors and esc's also very quiet. I throttled back when it started spinning but was unable to recover it. I will investigate next week when the cold weather returns. I flew my Me 110 after that with the same TX, 5 flights no problems.

Not a bad flying day today, winds rather more brisk than forecast, but pleasant enough initially. Grass/moss has started to grow with the increase in temperature and daylight, so a little more challenging for ROG with retracts.

Got some more flights in with my new E-Flite P-47D and Spitfire XIV - much better flying from the Spitfire with that SAFE thing disabled - very sprightly high performing model.  Decent flights on my P-51D too, beating up the field.

Managed a long awaited successful maiden of my Ripmax Bf109e before the wind got too much. My pal Derek has one and advised hold in full right rudder for the hand launch, which he executed perfectly and the Emil got away nicely, in a gentle climbing curve to the right, rather than a hard left flick into the deck. The model flies exactly like the Ripmax Spitfire once she's under way - properly grooves along and very nicely balanced., Drama free landing and left the field happy, albeit a bit earlier than planned.

Nice bright sunny and warm so I just had to grab something and get out quick so...........

I took my FunBat out and put some streamers on it unfortunately it was a bit breezy and it caught me out pushing the model to the ground I broke the motor shaft ?.

Next was the Gyroo now that can handle a bit of wind Unfortunately I forgot my Head cam strap so someone volunteered to hold my camera for me but did not realise that the view screen cuts off while the camera continues to record.  

Steve ?

Edited by Stephen Jones
typo

On 24/03/2022 at 17:12, Eric Robson said:

Second maiden flight this week, after a lot of right aileron it flew beautifully after 4 mins 60% left in batteries 4 4s 3600.  3rd flight at 50ft it went into a flat spin considerable damage but repairable. the only thing I changed was the throttle cut switch from D to A but when I went to fly it it was still on D, it checked out on the ground and took off as normal  till 50ft. on checking the TX it showed throttle cut on switch A. ?????

IMG-20220324-WA0000[3069].jpg

Just a thought - did you have a mobile phone close to the transmitter between programming and the crash?  Otherwise are you certain that the change was saved to memory…

Brilliant morning's flying this morning - the clocks going forward didn't help, with the strip enveloped in thick mist when I arrived at the usual time. Half an hour later though, that had burned off and it was blue skies, with a v light breeze or calm and pleasantly warm. Successful maidens for the last pair of my wee depron and foamy fighters, so all of them have flown now. Such a nice day that I even put in a flight from the garden after lunch with the SEMFF Messerschmitt Bf109E.  Very enjoyable flights with my E-Flite P-51D and PZ FW-190 too, but nicest of all just sitting in the warm sun having a blether. ?

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Martin Harris - Moderator said:

Just a thought - did you have a mobile phone close to the transmitter between programming and the crash?  Otherwise are you certain that the change was saved to memory…

I had a mobile phone in my pocket Martin, according to the TX throttle cut is on switch A. At the moment I am rebuilding the Black Widow between flying sessions ( I have been flying every day for the past 7 days) so when I get the the repair work at a stage where I can reconnect the systems I may come up with the solution.

Today was glow engine day. 

3rd maiden in a week, 

This Hurricane was built from a Warbirds Replicas kit, powered by a Saito 82 not yet fully run in. When I am happy with the engine I will fit the cowl, no flaps on this one but today in a very light wind they were not needed. 

Another winner from Richard Wills. 

20220327_114603[3082].jpg

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Eric Robson said:

3rd maiden in a week, 

This Hurricane was built from a Warbirds Replicas kit, powered by a Saito 82 not yet fully run in. When I am happy with the engine I will fit the cowl, no flaps on this one but today in a very light wind they were not needed. 

Another winner from Richard Wills. 

20220327_114603[3082].jpg

Rims fell off yer flight box wheel Eric, wants a couple of nails innit.

? ?

AT LAST.....!

Great day at Davidstow. Light winds but only 3 of us, couldn’t work out where everyone else was.

Sorted out the flap/elevator % mix on the T240. The new UC works a treat. Also I’ve now put a new RX in the Gipsy Moth and transferred it to the new TX. Everything came back in one piece....result?

Laser appreciation day for me.... DR1 with Laser 150 and Dual Ace with twin 70's

Needless to say it was a bit of a shock to the system flying the Dual Ace after the DR1 as it gets a bit of a shift on, so just had to have another DR1 flight after that.

image.thumb.png.952bc721a911e23d391dc8482dd1850e.png 

Didn't get a chance to get the Tigercat (100's) out due to club IC flying time rules...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alan Gorham_ said:

Definitely not a Tiger Moth as the wings don't sweep back.

I'm pretty sure it's a Cirrus Moth, probably built from the same excellent kit as the Gypsy Moth in my avatar - but looks a bit better than mine ?

Yesterday was sunny with temperatures well above freezing and little wind. I flew my Baron, pracising low level flight for La Coupe, that is its fuselage is at the upper left section of the first picture, just behind my dog's tail! I was given this DB Sport & Scale Blackburn Monoplane by another expatriate Englshman who is returning to the UK. The model is too long to take with him! Another member of the club has expressed an interest in restoring it. The model features wing warping and the joystick/steering wheel moves up and down with the elevator! A one-metre rule in the second picture lends scale to the model.

Blackburn Monoplane (1).JPG

Blackburn Monoplane (2).JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Great day at the flying field with about half a dozen of us and nearly no wind.

Snoopy is getting the hang of the Dr1 although his landings seemed to be getting worse as the day went on! No damage and those tight rudder/aileron turns are super to watch

image.thumb.png.07696d6ebec48e85715cbd5f8bf20642.png  

image.thumb.png.e745bbf2211832c7fb2028b1efcaaf32.png

The BH mossie hasn't been out for a couple of years and although very pitchy on the elevator need to cut its second flight short due to port engine noise! 

image.thumb.png.6eb528960ff8523c645892f0089f6d87.png

Lastly Mr Gruffalo was being a right animal with persistent loops and spins, apparently to verify the lipos would be suitable for the mossie later!

image.thumb.png.65e6e33ed94dbd335af94cb0635af3da.png

• Like 4