SOLDERING STATION

My iron packed up towards the end of last year so I decided to give the Sequre MSS12 a go and have been pleasantly surprised with how good it is. It covers all my needs right from soldering components on PCBs through to XT90 battery connections and running off a Li-Po (3s - 6s) with a heating up time of less than 10 secs (to 360C) it is very handy in the workshop but I can also take it to the field with me. Since then they have brought out a new model the SI012. They both use interchangeable tips (T12) which are varied in size, readily available and inexpensive.

Unmanned Tech UK stock them, amongst others

• Like 1

For decent soldering equipment there is only one name to go for and that is 'Weller'. Professional quality that will last a lifetime - my Weller gear is over 40 years old. Not inexpensive by any means and beyond the scope of the occasional use for hobby work, but worth considering if getting into serious electronic construction.

The cheaper soldering stations are fine for most small jobs that we come across, but be prepared for the quality of the tips to be somewhat inferior and may well need changing  more often to maintain quality of joints.

I gave a soldering demo/workshop at one of my clubs quite a few years ago and invited those with their own irons to come along and try a few soldering tasks for practice. Clearly, most people's problems were being caused by trying to use a small iron on a larger job and some tips that were so worn out that they'd become hollow over the years. 

• Like 1

I have a couple of Aoyue soldering stations:

Aoyue 936A - 60W -   https://www.pcb-soldering.co.uk/aoyue-936a-60w-soldering-station - £64

Aoyue 936 - 35W - https://www.pcb-soldering.co.uk/aoyue-936-soldering-station - £42

they're temperature-controlled & have a wide range of swappable tips available.  they do me nicely for quadcopter building & the 60W one does XT60's/XT90's with ease; the 35W one with slightly less ease.

Weller or Hakko would be nice, but they're several times the price & I'm not sure what extra you get apart from the name.

• Like 1