Heating Oil

Matt Carlton

Oow!  Just had a look at Boiler juice site and it's down from yesterday's £1.59 to £1.51 per L.  About the same price as diesel at the forecourt and that has £0.58 fuel duty plus 20%VAT on it as opposed to £0.10 on heating oil and only 5% VAT.

Somebody is having a laugh and it's not me!

Marty

18 minutes ago, Martin Fraser said:

Oow!  Just had a look at Boiler juice site and it's down from yesterday's £1.59 to £1.51 per L.  About the same price as diesel at the forecourt and that has £0.58 fuel duty plus 20%VAT on it as opposed to £0.10 on heating oil and only 5% VAT.

Somebody is having a laugh and it's not me!

Marty

Sounds like it Marty. Jet A1 (which is essentially the same stuff) down the road at Sleap is 92p a litre or 82p/litre if you are a member of the Club.

Jet powered central heating? ?

Martin,

I looked at Boilerjuice 5 mins ago and it said £1.65 on 11 March, down from £1.69 on Thursday. This was the 1 week chart.   What have I done wrong?  Diesel is either side of £1.80, just driven past 4 stations.   Is there some geographical bias going on, or is levelling up only applying to fuel?

BTC

Over the last week my wife has collated all our energy bills (gas and electricity) for the previous 10 years (ie since we had solar panels fitted) and the net cost, once the Feed-in Tariff (FIT) payments are deducted it comes to just over £3,000 - ie £300/annum.  However, that doesn't include the cost of extra insulation we've had installed  - new double glazing and foam insulation under the roof itself to add to the fibreglass wool insulation (6" IIRC).  We live in an old stone cottage with just 2 small bedrooms upstairs so there's no cavity to insulate.  The gas is used only for the central heating and hot water and most of the radiators are turned off - I can't remember the last time we heated the bedroom because it has to be around -10 deg C outside before it's necessary and we haven't needed our winter duvet this year.  We have a couple of gas fires but they're rarely turned on.

Insulation (and the solar panels) is the reason coupled, with thermal vests and a couple of pullovers/fleeces indoors.  I was surprised myself but my wife is very competent financially and she's gone back and checked everything so I'm sure she's right. 

That is impressive Geoff, to put it mildly! 

We've had solar panels and a storage battery put in at the start of this year (a 4 kW array and 5.2kWh battery) and the results already are very encouraging.

Am I right in thinking that on the FIT scheme you are paid for deemed export, i.e. they assume that you are exporting 50% of what you generate? 

We've gone on to the FIT replacement, called Smart Export Guarantee or SEG, but the export is metered and the payment is nowhere near what you get on FIT - 4.1p per kWh in our case.

• 1 month later...

Slightly off topic, after many many months of trying, customer service just phoned saying the gas meter is to be removed, so no more bills !

That company is pathetic and really difficult to get to communicate with.

Hurrah, the leach is off my back.

The company is a compass bearing....3 characters.

Yes, diesel is still expensive, £1.73 a litre locally for derv...

Researching the small red diesel Turbine type heaters some off you guys use to heat your sheds...

Edited by Rich Griff

Look before you leap Rich. Red diesel is now £1 a ltr locally ( SE  ) but its continued sale at a local filling station is in doubt due to government changes in its allowed use.

We as domestic users can still use it for heating while companies or industrial users can't.  It's use in machinery is now  only allowed for agricultural use and not in diggers , JCBs or in anything to do with building etc. So if sales drop at our local filling station the pump will go ! 

I bought 30 ltrs just before the weather warmed so will have to guard it in a compound with dog patrols and machine gun towers! ?.

Edited by Engine Doctor

• 1 month later...

A couple of garages locally are charging £2.07 for diesel and petrol is 10p cheaper. The supermarkets are currently a bit cheaper at £1.87 for diesel and again petrol 10p cheaper. HMG love it as we are still paying VAT on it and on the fuel duty. 

Edited by Engine Doctor

On 20/06/2022 at 09:28, Engine Doctor said:

HMG love it as we are still paying VAT on it and on the fuel duty

Why else would a supposed 5p duty cut happen a couple of days before the price suddenly jumped by 15p/litre?

Got to pay for the cheese and wine somehow.